What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nvidi Super GPU's to hit mobile space next year

Entz

I wonder if this means that the "super" variants will finally match the base desktop ones. i.e. Mobile 2070 Super = desktop 2070 , That may be a tall order though (2080 Max-Q is barely faster than a desktop 2060 in the best chassis and in most worse )

Soultribunal

Staff member
I feel like for the 20XX series, Super or not they will not match the Desktop unless it's in a chassis that can handle the desktop class graphics card (I think all the big players have at least one chassis with the exception of Razer that can hack a non-Q GPU).

Just another reason to be thankful that my 51m.

-ST

Mr. Friendly

well, this current generation of 16xx and 20xx GPU's are quite something to behold. the 1650 alone is about 33% faster than the 1050 Ti and I don't think we've had that big a performance jump in video performance for some time. more 10 incremental. I

Soultribunal

Staff member
They are, but if you look at it from a broader perspective, the 20XX series are more 'hampered' by thermals then their previous iteration was. Don't get me wrong, having near desktop class GPU's is a LONG way from where it used to be with the M series.

I hope with the 30XX series (if that's what they get called) are more efficient with a refinement on the RTX series so we can get closer to near Desktop and have less Max-Q parts.

The extra items they packed into the 20XX vs the 10XX definitely added additional constraints with thermals. I didn't see nearly as many Max-Q on the 10XX series unless it was an ultra portable / thin or some design where they didn't have quite the heat sink that other m odels had.

I think the 16XX you see less max Q because it is without those extra cores, and can run closer to its desktop brother.

-ST

Shadowarez

Will TB 4 be implemented next year if get a great labtop with the crappiest GPU available then just use a external would prob be safer on wallet gut punch

Entz

I haven't seen anything indicating there will be a TB4, if there is Intel is keeping it very close to their chest.

However *if* Intel stops being annoying and drops the bandwidth reservation nonsense with a new chipset (or the USB4 "certified" ones) then yes that is an option if your not gaming on the go. The hit is so high on TB3 eGPU right now due to the 22gbit/s enforced cap its basically the same thing -- a 2080 eGPU is 2060 speeds by the time you eat the 20-30% drop.

Shadowarez

Ah dang thought saw vids were it wasn't so bad but that make sense when bandwidth is constrained that much. Il wait till there is a good labtop next year with WiFi 6 and support for 2210 m.2

Entz

It certainly would be nice. I can see them doing it once they start pushing PCI-e 4.

Twitter