What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nvidia’s RTX 3000 Series to Draw Up to 375W!?

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team

Let’s get started with Nvidia. Over the weekend, we got our first look at one of the next-gen AMPERE GPU’s, the RTX-3080. Now I’m not talking about benchmarks but an actual look at the card itself which revealed some extra info. And if you thought Nvidia was going to stick with the founder’s edition cooling design it introduced with the RTX 2000 series, you would be wrong. Or not, honestly, this could be a hoax but here it is. Yep, it certainly looks… different. Btw the blue is just the plastic wrapping, it’s actually silver. At first glance, it might look a little bit like a single fan blower card but nope. All this black area seems to be the heatsink, and if you look at the back, the PCB is actually cut short allowing a second fan to be placed there. The irregular slash short PCB reminds me of AMD’s fury cards. They had a shorter PCB with extended heat sink, but at least it was using HBM so it could save some space around the chip. I’m not saying that Nvidia will use HBM btw. It’s definitely a weird setup, but cooling wise, it has the same kind of air dissipation as any 2 fan design. The heatsink though, this is where the magic will probably happen and probably will need it too.we’ll get to that in a few seconds though. Other information on the card also came out from Moore’s law is dead. According to his sources, the card will drop the Virtualink USB C port. At least on the engineering samples. Now I know what you might say, who cares, no one used it anyway. Well, yes and no. The oculus quest could make use of it, but more importantly, YOU could too. It’s not just a display connection. It’s actually a fully-fledged USB 3.1 type C port. For someone like me who doesn’t have USB on the motherboard, its a plus. Moores law is dead also shared some extra information like ampere trading efficiency for higher than intended clock speed. That new info is in line with a previous chip hell post from 2 weeks ago that predicted the irregular PCB of the recently leaked 3080 and added that it would have extreme power consumption. According to the post.“ More power than anything Nvidia has ever put out” end quote. According to leaker Kopite 7 kimi it should be around 300 to 375w although for nvidia , anything above 280w would be considered really high. There’s a reason why the first-ampere gpu we saw came out of an oven.

Izerous

Folding Team
Realistically 375W is still lower than a lot of older cards that would draw 450W and more.

Latest posts

Twitter