What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nvidia doing FreeSync

Sagath

Staff member
Wouldnt this hack enduce a whackload of latency? I mean you're rendering a frame essentially 3(?) times before displaying it.

But hey...it works, I guess?

Bond007

I know gsync is superior, but freesync being a close second, essentially free to implement and open source are big pluses. Nvidia’s gpu market share is likely the main reason it’s still as big as it is. I am curious how it will play out in 5 years...especially with consoles being freesync as well.

That said, as long as people are willing to open their wallets it won’t go anywhere.

Sagath

Staff member
latency is worse...but how does that truly affect the game play? that's the question...
That would depend on the game, but three frames is a lot, and if you change your actions in those three frames you're going to get massive 'bounce' too. I think this is the 'jitter' people refer to?

The funny thing is that all of these things are basically undoing any of the screen tearing prevention free sync is there for: worsening your viewing experience.

Mr. Friendly

3 frames isn't a lot when you're getting 60fps though, assuming base FreeSync performance...so 3 frames is half a percent and that really is insignificant.

Sagath

Staff member
3 frames isn't a lot when you're getting 60fps though, assuming base FreeSync performance...so 3 frames is half a percent and that really is insignificant.
No, 3 frames is 5% @ 60 fps. And that is just the latency. Thats not counting the jitter that would be induced if you changed your movement in those 3 frames, then you're looking at 4-6 frames of jitter, with a 'bounce' redraw in 1-3 frames, before you would see your expected result. Now we're talking 10%. Thats huge.

I guarantee in FPS games you would notice it, ARPGs as well. Hell, you'd probably notice it in every game.

SugarJ

Staff member

Huh? 3 divided by 60 is .05 or 50 milliseconds. People bitch about 5ms lag monitors let alone making it 10 times worse. It would be unplayable in most reaction games.

Mr. Friendly

No, 3 frames is 5% @ 60 fps. And that is just the latency. Thats not counting the jitter that would be induced if you changed your movement in those 3 frames, then you're looking at 4-6 frames of jitter, with a 'bounce' redraw in 1-3 frames, before you would see your expected result. Now we're talking 10%. Thats huge.

I guarantee in FPS games you would notice it, ARPGs as well. Hell, you'd probably notice it in every game.
HAHAH...I meant 5 percent, not sure how I converted that to half a percent, LoL!