What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Performance Review Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:

BookOfElie

it seems it's bye bye 1080 and 1070ti and only for a few dollars more. I wish this was the same for the 2080 and 2080ti.

Mr. Friendly

well, looking at the benchmarks, I'll still need to get at least a 1080 Ti. my U3415w has a bit more resolution than a 4K panel, just at the 1440p aspect. :(

Lysrin

well, looking at the benchmarks, I'll still need to get at least a 1080 Ti. my U3415w has a bit more resolution than a 4K panel, just at the 1440p aspect. :(

You actually have less pixels on a 1440p ultrawide than standard 4K:

3440x1440 = 4,953,600 pixels
3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels

So performance for ultrawide res we have is generally worse than 1440p benchmarks but better than full on 4K res.

I agree though. The purchase of my used ultrawide led very quickly to the purchase of my used 1080Ti! :whistle: Wouldn't want anything less than that at 1440p ultrawide will you don't care about turning a lot of the graphics candy down or off.

EDIT: Maybe you are gaming across two ultrawides as in your My System Specs? If that's the case then yeah, your definitely need 1080Ti or more horse power!

Bond007

A solid 1070Ti/1080 replacement in the product stack, but really it's nothing more. No better performance per $ (likely a bit worse). We will see how CDN pricing stabilises.

Dwayne

Performance comes in around where I expected it to be. Perhaps a touch slower when the non-overclocked versions are tested, but not terrible really.

One of the things I have noticed is the reference to previous generation uplift and I really wonder if the comparison of 10xx series to 9xx series cards has skewed a lot of the expectation with the 20xx series over the 10xx series. When you look back at the 9xx series cards no one talks about the difference in VRAM at the time. A GTX 970 and 980 only had 4 GB of VRAM, (or some wags might say 3.5 GB for the 970) the 980 Ti only had 6 GB of VRAM. So when the 1070 and 1080 came out with 8 GB of VRAM, on top of the performance uplift of the Pascal architecture, and on top of the increase in GPU Core clock, all of this combined to produce a huge increase in performance uplift. As you look at today's release, the 2070 has 8 GB of VRAM, although it is faster VRAM, the same as the 1070 and 1080. It has a performance uplift of architecture, but the GPU core clocks are similar. This means it is more difficult to provide huge performance uplift, but it is still impressive that the uplift is still there. At least it is to me.

Anyway, thanks for the work on getting the review out. Funny how the 2070 release closely mirrors the Vega release, but the overall vibe I get from reviewers is much less forgiving of NVidia than they were of AMD, all things looking equal.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I know it was briefly touched on, but I really want to see the performance of these cards once DLSS & RT cores are actually utilized.

These cards seem power/thermal constrained already, and I cant see how performance wont go down with these features (half the die!) being used.

Anyway, thanks for the work on getting the review out. Funny how the 2070 release closely mirrors the Vega release, but the overall vibe I get from reviewers is much less forgiving of NVidia than they were of AMD, all things looking equal.

I think this is more a sign of the times. The competition/comparison for these cards isnt AMD vs nVidia. Its nVidia eating its own.

That doesnt mean that it isnts biased. Actually it 100% means it is. Its quite heuristic in fact.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter