What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB Review; GK106 Arrives COMMENT THREAD

EzioAs

"Against AMD’s cards the GTX 660 Ti is almost untouchable from a value standpoint"

I think you mean the GTX660(non-ti).

I agree it may not be a game changer, but it's certainly Kepler done right :biggrin:. I don't agree with your conclusion that the Radeon is overpriced at the last page. That's just absurd :angry2:. Previous Kepler is much much overpriced and the GTX660 is finally a card that is worth the money. Although a slightly lower price wouldn't hurt maybe release it at $220 but maybe I'm just nitpicking :whistle:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
"Against AMD’s cards the GTX 660 Ti is almost untouchable from a value standpoint"

I think you mean the GTX660(non-ti).

I agree it may not be a game changer, but it's certainly Kepler done right :biggrin:. I don't agree with your conclusion that the Radeon is overpriced at the last page. That's just absurd :angry2:. Previous Kepler is much much overpriced and the GTX660 is finally a card that is worth the money. Although a slightly lower price wouldn't hurt maybe release it at $220 but maybe I'm just nitpicking :whistle:

See I don't agree. For $20 more, why would you buy a HD 7870 at this point? As I said: "But make no mistake about it, with a few well timed and minimal reductions, the HD 7870 could become a very serious threat to the GTX 660's newfound position." Remember, right now the average price of a HD 7870 is about $250.

great_big_abyss

And Queue the AMD Price Cuts. I could see a $30 price cut on the 7870 and a $20 price cut on the 7970 putting them back into contention.

I wish I had a little bit extra money so I could build up a machine for the wifey/kid. This price range of card would make an EXCELLENT choice, and I really want an excuse to buy one.

EzioAs

See I don't agree. For $20 more, why would you buy a HD 7870 at this point? As I said: "But make no mistake about it, with a few well timed and minimal reductions, the HD 7870 could become a very serious threat to the GTX 660's newfound position." Remember, right now the average price of a HD 7870 is about $250.

There are already Radeon 7870 at $240 on average. AMD already cuts the prices again on the 7800 and 7900 cards just a couple days ago. With MIR, some have even fallen to the $220-230 price point, but maybe MIR shouldn't be counted. A HIS 7870 can even be found at $210 last I checked though they are out of stock now.

Still, this is very similar when the 670 came out. It offers almost 90% performance of the $100 more 680. Same thing on the 660 vs 660ti. Imo, why would you buy a card that offers very similar performance at $239 to the $300 card:sad:

Soullessone21

Now who will have stock first on the MSI 660 haha hunting hunting I could use a nice SLI setup :)

Edit:
But can it fold:ph34r:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
There are already Radeon 7870 at $240 on average. AMD already cuts the prices again on the 7800 and 7900 cards just a couple days ago. With MIR, some have even fallen to the $220-230 price point, but maybe MIR shouldn't be counted. A HIS 7870 can even be found at $210 last I checked though they are out of stock now.

A mistake that many people make is to only poll Newegg when doing their price comparisons for these reviews. We typically use a combination of Newegg, Amazon, NCIXUS and Directron. The issue is that AMD and NVIDIA typically use Newegg as a spot for their limited inventory "loss leaders" which gives a very deflated view of the overall market conditions. While Newegg does have great prices, not everyone shops there. I was actually being generous with the HD 7870 as well since its average price (for a reference version) is actually closer to $265 rather than $255.

A good example of that is the HIS HD 7870 you mentioned; a card that had its price cut to loss leader status right before the GTX 660 launch in an effort to deflect attention....only to sell out due to a severely limited supply to begin with.

LarkStarr

It fills a good position, but AMD can easily counter that, making for an interesting choice now for consumers. But even against the 660ti the performance is objectively relative. realistically with taxes and such, you're saving $80-90 to have 80% at worst of the ti's performance. I can smell 660 SLI setups that costs 50% more then a lone 660ti, but offers anywhere from 60% to 100% more performance.

BigPhatPaulie

Very interesting... I like this card a lot, wonder if it would be a good replacement for my 448ti or not

Latest posts