What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA officially supporting VESA adaptive sync as of 15 Jan 2019

Sagath

Staff member
I'd like to know how this is going to pan out with multi-monitor setups, and cross compatibility.

For example; I have a gsync monitor as my main. Will my secondary "Freesync" monitor work, without issues?

simsin

G-sync on some Freesync monitors???

Hey guys just heard the news. Nvidia finally gave up?

What do you think the future holds? what happens to those with Gsync monitor (they get better support i would imagine? Seems its only select list of monitors?

Anyways thought it was interesting and wanted to hear your thoughts :canadianwave:

ipaine

Here is the article from Nvidia talking about this:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

Thing is, this is not the death of g-sync monitors. It will still give you the better 1hz and up vrr experience and there are brand new ones coming, like that massive 65" HP Omen @120Hz with HDR. As of right now they have tested 400 monitors and only deemed 12 of them as g-sync compatible. So only those ones will for sure give you a proper experience (no flicker, banding, etc.), but you are able to enable it on any vrr monitor and see if it works. But if it is not on their compatible list they are not guaranteeing anything.

The list of G-sync monitors including the g-sync compatible ones at the bottom can be found here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

belgolas

The lowest my monitor goes is 48-144hz I think. I don't game below that. So it's really a non issue for me. Most games run above 60hz at 1440p on the RX Vega.
There are plenty of games that I target for 60 FPS but have dips into 30 FPS or below even for a split second so that is why I want 30hz to be at least the minimum for VRR.

Gman109

Anyone here have experience comparing similar games using both Gsync and Freesync side by side, and if there is any differences between the two performance wise/visually?

I've had over a dozen Gsync monitors since I bought one of the first ones (Asus 27" 144hz 1440p, the first ROG in that line), but haven't owned an AMD card or Freesync monitor since the 5770 was around. I'm really interested to see how this plays out as well. So many times I've been pretty interested a new monitor, reading it's specs, and then get to that last line where it says "Freesync" instead of Gsync and then have to thumbs down that plan since I only have nVidia GPUs.

FreeKnight

Anyone here have experience comparing similar games using both Gsync and Freesync side by side, and if there is any differences between the two performance wise/visually?

I've had over a dozen Gsync monitors since I bought one of the first ones (Asus 27" 144hz 1440p, the first ROG in that line), but haven't owned an AMD card or Freesync monitor since the 5770 was around. I'm really interested to see how this plays out as well. So many times I've been pretty interested a new monitor, reading it's specs, and then get to that last line where it says "Freesync" instead of Gsync and then have to thumbs down that plan since I only have nVidia GPUs.
There's a few writeups that compare the two, but nothing that I'd call an amazing side by side review. GN had a little write up a while back and the only real takeaway from a technical perspective was;

" Each FreeSync monitor has its rated FreeSync range, which means that outside of this range, FreeSync doesn’t work, which results in either screen tearing or stutter. In contrast, G-Sync monitors don’t have a minimum refresh rate for G-Sync to function, instead G-Sync works even below 20 FPS – although that’s practically just a fast slide show. Of course, both G-Sync and FreeSync are limited by the maximum refresh rate of the monitor.

G-Sync may be superior in providing a more uniform experience and better at handling low-FPS situations, but monitors with FreeSync – reflecting its name – are cheaper than their G-Sync equivalents. This is in part because of how variable refresh rate is implemented. FreeSync is implemented via ASICS (in the case of FreeSync, scalers used in monitors) that can be cheaply mass produced by multiple companies – leading to healthy supply-side competition – as long as they are compliant with DisplayPort’s adaptive sync feature. In contrast, G-Sync is implemented through the use of field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) and licensed to monitor manufacturers; this is a physical hardware component on the display. FPGAs are adaptable and quicker-to-market than ASICs, but they’re more expensive and, since nVidia is the only company capable of licensing G-Sync, there is little competition to help drive down the cost of implementing G-Sync."
There's also a Linus side-by-side where he goes over a few scenarios, if you just want the summary and results skip to 11:30 (I can't watch a whole Linus video haha)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=748&v=MzHxhjcE0eQ

But I haven't seen a great showdown review that really breaks everything down and compares a couple almost nearly identical monitors. That could be part of the problem too though is that there's so many other variables (Input Lag, Frame hold time, response time) where each monitor will have different values, enough so that they can't really side by side test.

It's too bad Rtings hasn't started monitor reviews :sad:

Sagath

Staff member
The closest I've seen visually was this video, which is 100% subjective (although they do mention a couple graphical differences). Its very difficult to do a performance comparison when you have two variables: GPU & Monitor tech. The video is not technical of apples/apples, but its about as close as you're realistically going to get I think.

Apparently they did a writeup on it too; https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/30/amd_radeon_freesync_2_vs_nvidia_gsync

Latest posts

Twitter