What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nvidia Releases New Pascal Based GPU

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

the GT 1010, which from the article appears to be the replacement for the ancient GT 710.

it's a modified GT 1030 with only two thirds the shaders of the 1030 and only 2GB of RAM. however, unlike the 1030, the RAM is only GDDR5. I never knew this, but apparently some 1030's had GDDR4 :eek:

Bond007

The gt1030 ddr4 version was a big issue. They released them without announcement and without any identifying marketing (up to the various card makers). If I remember correctly they were about half the gaming performance and minimal cost difference.

While the gt1010, will be useless for gaming, it is probably to fill the requirement of a cheap GPU to slot in pre-built Ryzen PCs...and ditch the ancient stuff they probably want to stop supporting.

sswilson

Staff member
The gt1030 ddr4 version was a big issue. They released them without announcement and without any identifying marketing (up to the various card makers). If I remember correctly they were about half the gaming performance and minimal cost difference.

While the gt1010, will be useless for gaming, it is probably to fill the requirement of a cheap GPU to slot in pre-built Ryzen PCs...and ditch the ancient stuff they probably want to stop supporting.

Exactly this.

I've been looking around at precisely that market over the last little while, and I'm sure there's a market for low powered GPUs to pair with Ryzen processors. All that's really needed is Displayport 2.0 to cover higher resolutions and refresh rates.

Marzipan

yep...that's exactly what the article says they're for.

kinda sad though as the 1030 is neck in neck with the Intel Iris Xe, so the 1010 won't match iGPU.

Marzipan

Exactly this.

I've been looking around at precisely that market over the last little while, and I'm sure there's a market for low powered GPUs to pair with Ryzen processors. All that's really needed is Displayport 2.0 to cover higher resolutions and refresh rates.
AMD released the Radeon 500 series for this purpose...though only OEM's seem to have it. I saw for the first time a bit ago on some Lenovo ThinkCentre's. performance of this GPU is the pits as the UHD 630 beats it soundly.

sswilson

Staff member
AMD released the Radeon 500 series for this purpose...though only OEM's seem to have it. I saw for the first time a bit ago on some Lenovo ThinkCentre's. performance of this GPU is the pits as the UHD 630 beats it soundly.

Yeah, but it's really only designed for general purpose work. Games need not apply unless they're browser games. What's critical is the ability to push 4K and higher refresh rates.

Marzipan

Yeah, but it's really only designed for general purpose work. Games need not apply unless they're browser games. What's critical is the ability to push 4K and higher refresh rates.
that actually leads me to ask a question about higher refresh rates. do they only work while gaming or is your monitor still pushing the fps for day to day computer stuff too? and how does a 144hz screen work with a movie that's not any where near that fast?

gingerbee

Ya its really a pain in the ass I had to buy a gt 710 1gb for a pc I just build for my mother-in-law and when I built my server I had to use an RX 570 what a pain glad to see we're getting some lower power lower price gpu's

Marzipan

Ya its really a pain in the ass I had to buy a gt 710 1gb for a pc I just build for my mother-in-law and when I built my server I had to use an RX 570 what a pain glad to see we're getting some lower power lower price gpu's
well, I'm not sure what you mean by low price...but GT 1030's aren't exactly expensive. granted, against the GT 710, they are, LoL!

Latest posts