What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA SHIELD REVIEW Comment Thread

FreeKnight

It's a neat proof of concept, but to me, it's just not worthwhile. I agree with sky about the comfort of console gaming on the couch, but would I pay $300 bucks to do it at 720p? Especially if I need to buy a better router to get half decent streaming? Not when I can put my PC in the living room, spend $20 bucks on an HDMI cable, $50 bucks on a Wireless 360 PC gamepad and game at max graphics. Not to mention this gives you the option of Keyboard and mouse if you've got a decent wireless keyboard and mouse (my MX550 hundred worked fine on the other side of the living room, as did my Razer wireless mouse). I'd even look at going WDMI first if I wanted to keep the PC in the office and game on the big TV.

As an android gaming machine, I'm not overly enthused either. A PSP-3000 can be gotten easily for sub $100, runs way better PSP games and will run SNES and GEN emulators fine (which is about the best games you'll get on android IMO). I'll give the controller set up on the Shield credit, it looks very well laid out and comfortable, but definitely comes at a price of size and portability.

It's certainly a neat idea, and I hope future versions (Shield II, III) really bring this idea to all it could be, but at the moment it's not a sell for me, and I really doubt it will gain much market traction outside of a small niche of the hardcore PC gaming crowd (which is already a small niche). I hope I'm wrong and it's just the vanguard of bigger and better things, as there's promise in the ideas. I just don't think we're there yet.

ET3D

I think that Chromecast could end up going the gaming way. Google has already tried to establish Chrome as a gaming platform, and it could potentially stream these games. Add a bluetooth controller and you'll get console style gaming broadcast from the PC. It will be a lesser solution, but it could grow, and it will of course be much cheaper.

FreeKnight, the Shield can still be a good solution for people who want PC gaming in a mobile form factor. This appeals to me, for example. Gaming on the TV hardly happens (the wife and kids usually watch it), I rarely sit by my PC, and so a mobile solution to play my PC games and a controller for my Android games would be a good combination.

FreeKnight

FreeKnight, the Shield can still be a good solution for people who want PC gaming in a mobile form factor. This appeals to me, for example. Gaming on the TV hardly happens (the wife and kids usually watch it), I rarely sit by my PC, and so a mobile solution to play my PC games and a controller for my Android games would be a good combination.

Sure, and I can see it being a good option in your scenario, but I think there's not enough people in that situation/market to make this thing a success. If internet and wifi speeds were fast enough you could game via wi-fi say at the library/airport while it streamed from the PC then I think this thing would be amazing (but I don't think that will be anytime soon, let alone the bandwidth cap issue).

Time will tell of course, if this thing sells great I'll happily eat my words and hope it helps expand the PC gaming scene.

stlouis1

I'd be really interested in getting my hands on one to play with. I don't see myself buying one because I don't think I'd ever used it. Though I have picked up a few cheap android games that I like playing, some of which are terrible to play on my phone or tablet and i could see them being so much more enjoyable on something like Shield, but most of the time I can't be bothered with games on my phone or tablet, I really only game on my desktop, and my media center with a 360 controller, though streaming games in the house i could see myself doing, I don't see it being enough to justify buying one of these. I think for myself personally it's a novelty that would wear off pretty quick.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I agree. NVIDIA should do a "demo tour" with these things, hitting all the major North American cities.

ET3D

You're right. It's apparently more impressive in person than in concept.

Personally I think that both Android console gaming and remote TV gaming are going to grow. The Shield is the first device which gives people both, and it's well made, but the form factor is not perfect for everyone (or even most people) and these concepts are still too raw to be a huge draw. Still, I think it's a good thing NVIDIA made this device.

masterboxbuilder

I just got mine yesterday in the mail and I absolutely love it ! I need to upgrade from my 580's yet to try the streaming feature (which i am looking forward too). Even without it working yet it is still awsome to be able to sit on the couch and play android games with a proper controller and spend "time" with my wife while watching boring television programming.

Latest posts