What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

nVidia Shield Still Worth Buying?

Caldezar

Hey gang, I'll be buying a 4K HDR TV soon and I'm rethinking my HTPC setup. I'd like to get something smaller and more streamlined connected rather than a full PC build, and something easy to use for my wife. Primary use of this TV will be cable viewing and streaming services. (Netflix 4K, Prime, Plex, etc.) I'm currently considering grabbing an nVidia Shield since they're so crazy cheap. My concern is whether this is still a reasonable option in the age of HDR 4K? Is anyone using this as a solution? If so, how are you finding it? Also, is the nVidia streaming service from PC to TV through Shield still a thing? If so, will it run 4K content?

Sagath

Staff member
The answer to all your questions is yes.

There is nothing on the market that comes close to the power of a shield at its price point. And its not even close.

My only recommendation is, depending on your use, you'll want a mouse/keyboard combo or a new controller if you dont like the shield one.

I'm super partial to my two shields, and I would hop on a Shield 2 if they released an upgraded Tegra chipset.

nToxik

Is Dolby Vision important to you (does your TV support it)? I know nVidia Shield will stream 4K and HDR (probably not HDR10) but it won't stream Dolby Vision. Meanwhile, the Firestick 4K does stream Dolby Vision but not Dolby Atmos.

It's kind of a mixed bag out there I think.

HDR
HDR10
Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos

JD

Staff member
Apple TV might be the better choice if 4K/HDR is your focus as it supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

That being said, Shield handles 4K fine, I've played 4K HDR files through Kodi without issue, Netflix and Amazon Prime both run 4K HDR fine too.

supaflyx3

Absolutely. It's one of my best purchases for my living room other than my TV. It supports HDR10 but not Dolby vision. It's still extremely fast & fluid given its age. I don't really use mine for gaming, but it works well enough for that.

zoob

The Shield is pretty good, and the stock controller is sufficient for my "TV" usage.

For gaming I prefer to use 1080p120hz over 4k60hz. GameStream from my desktop to the Shield paired with an Xbox 360 controller (USB wireless adapter) works pretty well.

Soultribunal

Staff member
From an owner of 2 Shields, I can say 100% yes they are worth what you pay for them (got lucky and picked up my second one on Sale at CC for black Friday).

I have had many different TV boxes, and nothing has ever come close to how well this unit performs.

-ST

Mr. Friendly

I believe Nvidia will be releasing new Shield hardware soon...I read rumblings about that somewhere recently. so you may wish to hold and see if more info comes to light at E3?

Entz

Same as above. Absolutely amazing machine. It does everything I could even want and then some. 4K HDR10 <3

Regarding DV: In my opinion since major players like Samsung are not backing Dolby Vision its as good as dead anyways.

lowfat

Staff member
If you read the Rants,etc thread you'll see I had issues w/ mine. Issues introduced by a software update. They have admitted the issues but after 6 months still hadn't fixed it. Only fix was to rollback to an older rom. Except you can't rollback to an older rom as it won't let you use it until you install the newest firmware. Only way around it is to install the developer rom where you can disable updates. Nvidia provides this rom on their website.....except they've uploaded the wrong rom for the 2017 Shield. The firmware uploaded is for the first revision 500GB Shield. So anyone attempting it now has a bricked Shield, including me. People tried telling Nvidia that the wrong image was uploaded all the way back to July of last year but its still up.

If you bought a brand new one or a used 2015 version, you'd be ok. But I sure wouldn't buy a used 2017 version, as you won't know if you have one of the affected ones. Sometimes mine would work for 2 weeks w/o issue, then start being a POS again.

Latest posts

Twitter