What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

nVidia Volta coming in April

Lima

awesome tech sounds just right

so if this pans out.. what would be the expected timeline for the mid range be?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
But how will Nvidia have any supply ? If they can't keep stock of current gen how hard will it be with even more limited next gen maybe they could invent GPU lottery system and if caught using it for mining get blacklisted from any future lottery since ant buy GPUs at a sane price anymore.

Lima

yeah, I kinda don't get how they could be unable to supply unless they are working to not over shoot production? Are they really being all gobbled up by miners?

Maybe they could do a bid type system where a pool opens every two weeks so consumers can place their bid for how many they want, pay for them and get them two weeks later.. 1 month waiting period, 2 weeks apart.

Just supply instead of just driving up price..

Shadowarez

Folding Team
from what iv read its being over taken from Asic's are taking all the available silicon and amd/Nvidia can only get a fraction of what they want. think theyd open 10-15 Plants to produce this f the cost there is demand, build more plants to get these things going gettin crazy. ppl are quitting this hobby as its worse then drugs at this point and only getting worse as demand outpaces ability to supply.

Gman109

Well, a bit more solid source, Reuters, has reported today that nVidia will be launching a new line of retail gaming GPUs next month, so I'm half right at least! Many other sources are covering this now too...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-shoot-prices-through-the-roof-idUSKBN1FT2AW

They are renaming it to the "Turing" line, something I think is incredible as Turing is somebody I've admired since I first started PC gaming with the Commodore PET computer in the early 80s. Great and idea for a gentleman that deserves a lot of respect, particularly with how he was treated after the war, a true hero. Looks like it's possible they will leave the "Volta" nomenclature for non-retail/gaming applications.

Whatever, I'm just happy a new line is coming in March, as a: I'm hopeful it'll relieve some of the market stress on GPUs (slim, but hey), and b: I want to upgrade/build a couple of our gaming systems, and don't want to do it with 1080tis or Titan XPs since a new card was so close to coming out.

Now I can use the 8700ks I picked off for great deals which I've had sitting and waiting. I'll have some 6850 CPU/MB/Ram and one Broadwell E 6800 set combos as well as a couple 1080ti SLI sets and perhaps a Titan XP for sale shortly once Turing is out. Looking in the Buy/Sell you'll see I price things extremely fairly (last 1080s I sold for $475 incl shipping), and I'll do so again despite the crazy market. Yes, I'm that happy about the Reuters announcement.

MARSTG

I would not be surprised if April is some sort of a paper launch with limited to no quantities available with a month or so later when there will be a proper full stock.
Or FE edition SKUs as the only available items, with custom cooling solutions from AIB partners "a few weeks away"!

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Don't assume NVIDIA's next gaming GPU will be Volta-based.

Latest posts