What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nvidia's Big Format Gaming Displays

FreeKnight

So Nvidia's Big Format Gaming Displays (BFG) have started showing up on the retail channel. Not sure how long they've been available/orderable, but this is the first I've seen of them;

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Emperium-HDR-1000-Soundbar-Streaming/dp/B07M888GH8

US Only so far, but holy fack $4999.99 USD + tax. All of the sudden my LG OLED feels like a bargain :sad:

Admittedly, GSync and 144HZ would be fantastic for a gaming TV, but since we'd be looking at ~$6800 CAD this is going to be a hard pass for me. I can live with capping at 60fps

JD

Staff member
For $7000, you can probably get yourself a 77" OLED for that matter...

I didn't understand it when they announced it, and at these prices, it still doesn't make any sense. I guess streamers and "influencers" are going to use them and promote them, but I don't see the average person buying this.

I still don't even understand how you setup your space to use this. Do you strictly use controller only? One of those lap keyboards? Or is your desk in the middle of your room with this TV/monitor wall mounted at a distance? And then for normal computing you have another monitor? The pixel pitch on this wouldn't be great.

FreeKnight

For $7000, you can probably get yourself a 77" OLED for that matter...

I didn't understand it when they announced it, and at these prices, it still doesn't make any sense. I guess streamers and "influencers" are going to use them and promote them, but I don't see the average person buying this.

I still don't even understand how you setup your space to use this. Do you strictly use controller only? One of those lap keyboards? Or is your desk in the middle of your room with this TV/monitor wall mounted at a distance? And then for normal computing you have another monitor? The pixel pitch on this wouldn't be great.

I play games almost exclusively with a gamepad now. Strategy games and games like Pillars of Etenity, etc still really need a KB+M, but so many games are designed with a gamepad that I can live with the inferior aiming. Fallout 4 stood out for me as a game that while aiming was worse, everything else (menus, inventory management, etc) all felt better on a gamepad. Almost anything outside of competitive FPS for me now. Hell even XCOM felt better with a pad.

As for setup of space, I'm assuming most users would either have a steambox, an HTPC or a 'game room', I can't see this being put in an office space. My office shares a wall with my living room, so I just have cables going through an interior wall to a TV on the otherside, but I realize I'm in a minority of users.

Otherwise I'll agree, they're not going to sell many of these at current prices. It's just bonkers, especially considering it's an LCD panel. Maybe they're hoping to corner the Saudi princeling and Trust-fund inheritance market....

clshades

MV5BMTIwMjA5ODc4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDEwOTg2._V1_.jpg

Me checking the left side of my screen.

belgolas

Too much money and I forget where I read the review but they weren't that impressed. Also there are TVs that are pretty good gaming monitors with lower input lag.

Gman109

I was going to pick one up to try it out, maybe replace one of the LG Oleds we're using, but I heard the same thing from people that have used one, that it isn't all that great of an experience. Plus the gaming I do end up doing on an OLED off of our HTPCs or even when I've run our 25ft HDMI cable from one of my gaming PCS to a TV - 4k/60 isn't going to look all that much different or better going up to 120hz, and Gsync is sort of moot since the games we're using on TV are going to be maxed out on FPS anyway for the most part. So what's the point, for the cost of 2 9900k/2080ti builds pretty much after tax/shipping.

Probably going top pass.

Spending 2$k on the 4k 27" Asus 144hz monitors was about the limit of sense I think - they are worth it in terms of performance and visual quality on a desktop for me, but only just.

Latest posts