What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA's GTX 1080 & GTX 1070 Detailed (Comment Thread)

Ernimus Prime

You have perfectly highlighted one of the major reasons why AMD's GPU division has struggled for the last 5 years. If they go with HBM2 this year for gaming-facing cards, put another nail in the coffin.

I agree. I just don't understand why AMD is aiming Polaris at lower to mid range users. It peeves me off that AMD won't have higher end cards. I predict that Nvidia will win over AMD. Depending if Nvidia got A Sync right. I guess it won't matter much if the GTX1080/1070 will be power houses in the market.

MARSTG

I had another look at the article and i just realized that the game comparison of the GTX1080 is done versus the GTX980 and not the 980Ti! Which gtx 980 is the third card in the Maxwell family, performance wise and not the first. And as probably only less than 5% of users will care about the VR stuff that actually leave you wondering exactly how much of an advance will a 1080 have over the 980Ti. Looking at the chart with Witcher 3 I would assume it is done at 4k2k and factoring in the performance delta between the 980 and 980Ti i would say the delta of 1080 in front of 980Ti would be more like kinda 20-30%. Which will put the 1070 more or less on par with the 980Ti! Sure, for less money, but we have seen that before! And the efficiency point? Please, no hard-core gamer will ever care about that point. When is the last time you heard of a configuration with a 980 boasting a sub 500W PSU? Just saying.

Jokester

I agree. I just don't understand why AMD is aiming Polaris at lower to mid range users. It peeves me off that AMD won't have higher end cards. I predict that Nvidia will win over AMD. Depending if Nvidia got A Sync right. I guess it won't matter much if the GTX1080/1070 will be power houses in the market.

Honestly it might make AMD more money. Most gamers I know will never drop $900 on the top card. Would never dream of it. If they can sell a card that does 980ti performance at a 1/3 or close price. They will be laughing all the way to the bank. Most gamers are not trying to do 4k tbh.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Honestly it might make AMD more money. Most gamers I know will never drop $900 on the top card. Would never dream of it. If they can sell a card that does 980ti performance at a 1/3 or close price. They will be laughing all the way to the bank. Most gamers are not trying to do 4k tbh.

The thing is though, more people are then were a year ago....and more people will be in two years from this point. Its a growing market, and the only way to keep it growing is by adding in the Hardware to make it reality.
It makes me think back to 1440p. It was a luxury back at one point. But most people I know now, are 1440p and wouldn't go back. Give it time and 4K will be the same story.

-ST

MARSTG

I just don't understand why AMD is aiming Polaris at lower to mid range users. It peeves me off that AMD won't have higher end cards.
From what i understand it is the Polaris 11 you talk of being geared towards lower to mid-range users. Polaris 10 will be for higher levels. And then is Vega, the highest end SKU with HBM 2.0. I think for once AMD has thrown Nvidia under the bus, at least for a while, getting exclusivity on the HBM memory : we see how hard they struggle with poor yields and had them scramble to a memory type with only one producer.

Jokester

The thing is though, more people are then were a year ago....and more people will be in two years from this point. Its a growing market, and the only way to keep it growing is by adding in the Hardware to make it reality.
It makes me think back to 1440p. It was a luxury back at one point. But most people I know now, are 1440p and wouldn't go back. Give it time and 4K will be the same story.

-ST

I don't see it. most of the people I know that game have cards like 970; or similar of older generations. Don't think I follow this assumption that people getting into the hobby want to drop $900 on a gpu. Most will be looking at their xbox and going wtf?

As far as 4k goes. I am sure some might enjoy it. but I know personally. I have been on 1440 for a few years and will never go to 4k. Just don't like it. maybe I am the oddity though :haha:

turtletrax

Banned
The technology that goes along with 4k is what will eventually get me on the train. HDR and color space probably being the biggest. Plus it will be where all the new tech is focused in the next few years. As soon as it is proven that OLED has substantial brightness lifetime I will be looking at it seriously. So, that pretty much means 4k is just an eventuality.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I don't see it. most of the people I know that game have cards like 970; or similar of older generations. Don't think I follow this assumption that people getting into the hobby want to drop $900 on a gpu. Most will be looking at their xbox and going wtf?

As far as 4k goes. I am sure some might enjoy it. but I know personally. I have been on 1440 for a few years and will never go to 4k. Just don't like it. maybe I am the oddity though :haha:

I know quite a few people with Titans and 980TI's. And there is a substantial number of people on all the forum circles that I frequent whom have either single or multiple GPU setups with those cards. I'm not saying its the majority right now. But if I took a wager on what I've seen....its definitely an increase from years back. It will be a few more years for sure, but it will come. Technology edges forward.
Its still not there yet (4K will take time to be mainstream) but give it time and cheaper technology and it will be the 'thing' eventually.

You must move in rarefied circles. :) Steam Hardware Survey now shows 1.51% of users have 1440 as their primary resolution, last time I looked it was (I think) circa one per cent.

I'm not a fan of Steam for their Hardware Survey. But maybe that's just me.
I don't move in rare circles, but I am on most HW forums and in lots of gaming circles (though under one of my multitude of names). So I get a little bit of a pulse on what's out there.
Its still going to take time, but it will come, at least I believe it will.

Just like one day the modern PC will be all solid state. Heck, I have a pure Solid state Server at work now. Never thought I'd see that day.

-ST

Prickly007

I suspect, to be honest, the average/typical system lies somewhere between Steam surveys and what we see in various forums.... People, especially in the case of monitors, don't upgrade very often; hell, I never even owned a 1080 monitor.

Your last comment- and I honestly don't mean this as a flame- crystallised something I had noticed in researching my CPU upgrade, but never quite could put my finger on. Too often, it seems, those that work professionally with computers, whether it be IT, content creation or what have you, think their work knowledge/requirements/expectations transfer, unquestionably, to the (for lack of a better term) real world. Of course, technology advances, becoming cheaper in the process. However, newer technologies don't always supplant older, established ones. A pure solid state PC is foreseeable, provided you don't need TBs of bulk storage. SSDs are still almost ten times the price per GB of HDDs, if 4k content ever arrives/takes off, HDDs become even more attractive.

In other words, I've started researching my next upgrade, 6/8TB of storage or a 400GB Intel 750. People who don't visit HW/gaming forums, I suspect, don't consider such things. They're far more likely to be rational, maybe even sane. :haha: