What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA's GTX 1080 & GTX 1070 Detailed (Comment Thread)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I'm really only interested in a SFF card, and with the lack of HBM on the 1070/80 lineup I'm really not interested in these at all.

Performance and wattage use is nice, but I really had my heart set on building a mATX setup based on the SFF size cards AMD managed to produce with HBM.

Sigh. Gonna have to go back to the drawing board I guess.

lowfat

Staff member
Rumour is that only reference cards will available on the 27th. And possibly on the Founders cards which are $100USD more. Will probably have to wait till mid June for AIB non-reference cards. People are thinking the Founder cards could possibly be higher binned silicon.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Updated post with additional Founders Edition info.

Founders = Reference Board.

FreeKnight

I'm glad I sold my 980Ti in Feb, prices are probably going to be dropping fast :D

I'm interested in seeing how this one does in real time testing. I'm at the point though that I may catch up on my console and PC indie/GOG backlog and see what the 1080 Ti holds or the next release after that. I've got enough games I still have hit that I shouldn't buy another card (I somehow managed to have a 4890,5870,680,2x780 and a 980Ti over the last half-dozen years, I don't need to buy one of every generation haha)

Prickly007

Honestly, that's still overkill considering the price and performance. Can't think of any game that would actually consume 7GB VRAM.

That isn't the only consideration. It would also imply less....

It's not a question of price and performance, or even VRAM utilisation. It's an issue of competence (to be generous) or outright dishonesty in Nvidia's marketing. As limitedaccess says, what else is being left unsaid?

I never got especially worked up over the GTX 970 (as I bought post-3.5GB controversy), on the assumption that I wouldn't be keeping the card for all THAT long. But if a single 1070/1080/etc is capable of driving 4k then I could be hanging onto one for a considerable amount of time and want to know exactly what I am buying, especially as this generation is even more expensive than the previous one.

Latest posts