What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA's Next-Gen Parts Get Named: GTX 480 & GTX 470

TokeR

Nobody ever said anything to that effect. The only thing that was specified was the naming scheme for the first two GF100 cards.

Right, I never said they did I was just asking if anybody knew or had a good guess based on previous generations of cards..

Right now if anyone could put down a good guess on how much the 480 will cost Just so I could have an idea I would take that.

U

Unregistered

Can't wait for these

Sorry for everyone who thinks otherwise but 1 benchmark does exist.It is a direct comparison between a fermi card and an HD5870 running a Farcry 2 benchmark side by side and you can actually watch the two benchmarks and see the end results fermi 80 to 90FPS on this bench and the HD5870 50 to 60(around 60% advantage fermi and it looks better on the fermi card).I don't think Nvidia is being secretive because the cards are not good,they are being secretive because thats how they work.Nvidia almost never reveals much about their new products until launch time.The last time Nvidia started a product from the ground up it was the 8800's anyone remember how that turned out they smashed eveything.

belgolas

Sorry for everyone who thinks otherwise but 1 benchmark does exist.It is a direct comparison between a fermi card and an HD5870 running a Farcry 2 benchmark side by side and you can actually watch the two benchmarks and see the end results fermi 80 to 90FPS on this bench and the HD5870 50 to 60(around 60% advantage fermi and it looks better on the fermi card).I don't think Nvidia is being secretive because the cards are not good,they are being secretive because thats how they work.Nvidia almost never reveals much about their new products until launch time.The last time Nvidia started a product from the ground up it was the 8800's anyone remember how that turned out they smashed eveything.
That was the Fermi card vs the GTX 285. YouTube - GF100 (Fermi) vs GTX285 Farcry 2 Benchmark

U

Unregistered

I stand corrected this was a fermi vs a gtx285(lots of people have it branded as 5870vs fermi sorry for spreading bad rumors).Most of the benchies I see have the 5870 about a 25 to 35% advantage over the gtx285 so if this holds true the new fermi should still have about a 30% edge over the 5870.Also in my experience the ATI cards don't overclock nearly as well as the N teams cards(with the exception of the 5850 this card clocks nicely however the 5870 doesn't).Believe it or not you can take an 8800gts 512(or 9800gtx) max out the clocks and make it keep up with a 4870 with maxed clocks.The 4870 has about a 15 to 20% advantage at stock speeds but also will only accept about a 15% raise in clock speed where the 8800GTS 512 will give you a whopping 35%.I try not to think about which card performs better stock because I never keep my cards stock.Something to think about

rjbarker

Speculation as to the reason for jump may partially be because NVIDIA has already tagged some of its mobile DX10.1 products as GT 3XX; hence the usage of an entirely new "4xx" series would make it easier for users to differentiate between the new DX11 products and cause less consumer confusion.

Excatly....300 Series are Mobile Cards....so relax guys ;)

Latest posts