What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA's Next-Gen Parts Get Named: GTX 480 & GTX 470

Silvgearx

3. 5770 owners will continue "sawing the old horse" and comparing thier Cards to previous Gen Green Cards, as in GTX 260 / 280 yada yada yada yada

correct Zero, however, according to what I have read on the nVidia "SLI Zone" Forum, the whole 300 Series is going to be skipped all together with Desktop Fermi, so that it can be "exclusive" GTX 4xx Cards - obviously hardly gospel, but does make sense from a Marketing Point Of View.

:rofl: :rofl:
Nvidia has no DX11 that can be compared, so review sites and user can only work with what they have for comparison sake.

And yea those people at "SLI Zone" also states that a 9800gt(x) is a completely new chip :rofl:

artistpavel

What I'd like to know, is when the launch prices will go down to their normal level. There's always a price spike on start and then it goes down to what the card really costs and stays that way for a year, and then it gets to a $200 range for mainstream end of gen sales. I'd like to skip the markup and get it for a reasonable price, but don't want to wait for too many months.

Last edited:

rjbarker

Artist....think its around 6-7 weeks..if I remember correctly the GTX 280's were rediculously priced for about that much time, then they "settled" down...I know they were around $600 - $650 on release and around 6 - 8 weeks later around $450...

Zero82z

Banned
correct Zero, however, according to what I have read on the nVidia "SLI Zone" Forum, the whole 300 Series is going to be skipped all together with Desktop Fermi, so that it can be "exclusive" GTX 4xx Cards - obviously hardly gospel, but does make sense from a Marketing Point Of View.
Skipping the 300 series on the desktop platform is kind of expected since nVidia announced this naming scheme in the first place. However, I don't agree that it makes sense from a marketing point of view. I don't see any reason why these cards shouldn't just be named as the 3xx series.
Artist....think its around 6-7 weeks..if I remember correctly the GTX 280's were rediculously priced for about that much time, then they "settled" down...I know they were around $600 - $650 on release and around 6 - 8 weeks later around $450...
The MSRPs of the GTX260 and GTX280 were $399 and $649 USD respectively at launch. nVidia dropped the prices down to $449 and $299 shortly after due to competition from ATI's 4000 series. The prices at launch weren't because retailers were charging premiums due to scarcity. The regular prices really were that high.

Last edited:

rjbarker

Skipping the 300 series on the desktop platform is kind of expected since nVidia announced this naming scheme in the first place. However, I don't agree that it makes sense from a marketing point of view. I don't see any reason why these cards shouldn't just be named as the 3xx series.

...obviously nVidia sees it different...

The MSRPs of the GTX260 and GTX280 were $399 and $649 USD respectively at launch. nVidia dropped the prices down to $449 and $299 shortly after due to competition from ATI's 4000 series. The prices at launch weren't because retailers were charging premiums due to scarcity. The regular prices really were that high.

Isn't that what I said..?
.I know they were around $600 - $650

dude..I purchased 3 of em over a Course of 4 months and am well aware of what the prices did and why...actually at that time folks were still mucking about with 9800GX2's and were royally pissed when these Cards came out very shortly after the release of the 9800GX2..fortunately I didn't buy into the GX2's and simply upgraded from an 8800GTX.....

The prices at launch weren't because retailers were charging premiums due to scarcity.

that statement isn't entirely correct, their was a huge "shortage" of the 280's available for the first 2 months of release...not 260's, but certainly 280's...i know as I was trying to purchase my first one then, but was glad afterwards that their was a shortage as (as you said) the new ATI Cards were subsequently released and the prices fell.

I was simply providing an answer to Artists query based upon my experience with release and pricing between June - Sept 08......

Zero82z

Banned
...obviously nVidia sees it different...
Obviously. But I don't see any good reason for it other than confusing their customers.
Isn't that what I said..?
artistpavel was asking about retailers charging above the MSRP of a product because of high demand. I was pointing out that the reason for the high pricing of the GTX2xx series at launch was not really because of demand, but rather simply because the MSRPs of the cards were extremely high to begin with.
that statement isn't entirely correct, their was a huge "shortage" of the 280's available for the first 2 months of release...not 260's, but certainly 280's...i know as I was trying to purchase my first one then, but was glad afterwards that their was a shortage as (as you said) the new ATI Cards were subsequently released and the prices fell.
I didn't say there wasn't a scarcity. I said that the high price was not caused by scarcity. Or at least not entirely.

For the record, the ATI 4000 series was officially launched about a week after the GTX200 series, and nVidia dropped their prices about a month after their launch.

Latest posts