What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nvme drive?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
The WD 750 nmve is what I used on the RIVE build, with a modded BIOS and a pcie adapter. Very fast for the price.

sswilson

Staff member
Sequential read/writes don't really translate to real world performance tho.

SN550 seems like a decent enough drive. But if the SX8200 is only $5 more then its a no brainer. It destroys the SN550 in small file low queue depth random reads, which is what generally shows how much of an imrpovement it will be in real world desktop performance.
Don't these kinds of drives "stall" if you feed them too much data at once? Wouldn't a typical game install make it look like the drive has stopped functioning? (Especially on a laptop that doesn't have an HDD activity LED? ).

edit: If it seems I'm being harsh on this style of drives.... I had a bad experience with a dramless SATA drive which turned me completely off on any iterations of that idea going foreward... :)

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
Don't these kinds of drives "stall" if you feed them too much data at once? Wouldn't a typical game install make it look like the drive has stopped functioning? (Especially on a laptop that doesn't have an HDD activity LED? ).

edit: If it seems I'm being harsh on this style of drives.... I had a bad experience with a dramless SATA drive which turned me completely off on any iterations of that idea going foreward... :)
AFAIK DRAM on an SSD isn't actually used to cache any writes. It is used as a log/map of data on the drive. But some newer DRAM-less drives use the hosts memory instead. And the ones that don't perform very poorly.

I think pretty much all QLC / TLC based drives will slow down w/ excessive writes are made. Once a drive has to start writing to the 3rd / 4th layer of a cell, write speed is significantly slower IIRC.

EDIT: I'm not completely right. It seems that some of the DRAM may be used for write caching. Otherwise PLP (power loss protection) wouldn't be a thing for higher end SSDs.

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
so what your saying is i need to buy a few and do a cache test on my test bench, i found i could mitigate qlc issues i would love to see if i ca ndo same with dramless drives if they are actually cheaper then drives wit hdram,

Entz

Yeah the issue comes down to the SLC cache, how big it is and how the drive manages it. Most drives will drop down to SATA speed once this is exhausted.

Still 400-500MB/s is still plenty fast if your dumping 100GB to a drive. 99% of users would never do this unless your pulling from a 10G network or you have ungodly internet speed.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Like Linus office which last I read was 10gb fiber. I'll grab a couple see were when it drops then load up my primo cache see if it works well with dramless drive's as well as it does with QLC drive's

Shadowmeph

I bought an Nvme drive a while back the only thing I noticed when compared to a Sata SSD it boot times maybe 3-5 seconds faster from a cold boot but thats about it I do like that it doesn't take up allot of space so the fans have less resistance when moving air around

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Unless you have a board like the x299 Asus Sage which has a odd placement for m.2 it sticks off the board horizontally right in the way of front fans.