What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVME on ASUS Z87 Plus with modded BIOS

Lysrin

Not to muddy the waters but I used this one with my Z97 system. Worked great:
Rivo M2 to M Key PCI-E

Also, my NVMe drive is the HP one you linked. That's a good price I think. Been working perfect, fast, no issues. I wouldn't have any hesitation buying another HP one.

I've never owned ADATA but there are other threads on HWC discussing them I believe. I don't recall a lot of negative comments. Years ago the QC on ADATA was a bit lower but that has improved from what I understand.

I didn't have to mod my BIOS as my ASUS Z97 Pro Wifi, running the latest BIOS, could boot from the NVMe slot, either on board or via the daughter card. No issues. But from my reading before I made that purchase the BIOS mod option is supposed to be successful.

sswilson

Staff member
It's a much slower drive than either the HP or the ADATA. It's essentially offering X2 speeds instead of X4. It's still a lot faster than a SATA SSD, but it's only 3 - 4 times faster instead of 5 - 6 times.

AkG

If you can afford a NON-QLC NAND NVME drive... I would not opt for the QLC based P1. Its a very decent 'starter' or 'introduction' to NVMe... but it is not in the same class as more mainstream NVMe options. Think of it as an entry level NVMe drive.

Assuming you are going the M.2 to PCIe adapter route... I would get one with a heatsink. Perferably one with cooling FINS so it is a heatsink not a heatspreader.

EG (and not saying BUY THIS ONE... its just an example of what a heatsink style one 'should' look like):
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GWH93V6...olid=3H3EYUBYP1ICP&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Make sure you have good case air flow and you will be GTG (assuming the mod bios works with no gremlins... no idea on if it will. probably should but would not say 100 percent will as I have not personally done it).

Sooo YMMV on adapters and no comment on doing it.

jrstrong69

If you can afford a NON-QLC NAND NVME drive... I would not opt for the QLC based P1. Its a very decent 'starter' or 'introduction' to NVMe... but it is not in the same class as more mainstream NVMe options. Think of it as an entry level NVMe drive.

Assuming you are going the M.2 to PCIe adapter route... I would get one with a heatsink. Perferably one with cooling FINS so it is a heatsink not a heatspreader.

EG (and not saying BUY THIS ONE... its just an example of what a heatsink style one 'should' look like):
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GWH93V6...olid=3H3EYUBYP1ICP&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Make sure you have good case air flow and you will be GTG (assuming the mod bios works with no gremlins... no idea on if it will. probably should but would not say 100 percent will as I have not personally done it).

Sooo YMMV on adapters and no comment on doing it.

I've got an HP Elitedesk 800 i7-4790 3.6ghz machine with a 'dual' PCI m.2 card, and I just ordered a
Samsung PM981 256GB M.2 NVMe
card for it!

I 'think' it is possible to install Win10pro onto this, making it a very fast boot drive for an 'old' machine, but I probably have to fine some 'non-HP' bios that supports it?

Jeff Strong

(Afterwards, I may try to get it installed in an 'archaic' HP Pavilion, probably NOT boot?)

lowfat

Staff member
You'd have to try modifying the bios yourself, it's highly unlikely you'll find someone who has tried it with your specific system. Definitely won't find a non-hp ios that will work for your board.

Other option is to boot to another ssd. Then use the nvme drive for games, documents, etc.

jrstrong69

You'd have to try modifying the bios yourself, it's highly unlikely you'll find someone who has tried it with your specific system. Definitely won't find a non-hp ios that will work for your board.

Other option is to boot to another ssd. Then use the nvme drive for games, documents, etc.

That was my plan, but I was 'hoping' a Canuck would know a 'cheap' way to make it bootable?

Latest posts