What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVMe Performance on X570

JD

Staff member
I'm pretty sure the 2nd slot on my X570 AORUS Xtreme runs through the chipset, so happily I seem to be able to run my FireCuda 520 2TB at full speeds :)

1581467325290.png

However, it seems the AORUS NVMe Gen4 500GB is not performing well at all. The read speeds seem to be what I'd expect, but the write speeds appear to be capped at SATA-level performance. This drive is in the 1st slot which I believe is connected directly to the CPU. CrystalDiskInfo says it's running at PCIe 4.0 x4 as well. Temperature is around 48C currently.

1581468473878.png

Even my old MP500 480GB in the 3rd slot that's only PCIe 3.0 is performing better for write speeds...

1581468740619.png

Any thoughts on why the AORUS drive might be performing so slowly? I know the 500GB model is the slowest of the bunch with only a 2500MB/s rated write speed, but 500MB/s is pretty darn slow.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Id suggest trying the same drive in all three slots to have a better comparison. Other than that, I'd suggest forcing that Nvme slot down to 3.0 speeds if you can, checking it's firmware, check for bios updates and trying cooling the nvme a bit (48 isn't bad though, so I doubt it's temperature throttling).

Bond007

Very odd. I also recommend to first check for motherboard bios updates and, second, swapping the ssd around and see what happens.

lowfat

Staff member
I can't see the slot being an issue. Its obviously getting full bandwidth due to the read speeds. Try default windows NVMe driver and the driver provided by manufacturer?

If it wasn't your boot drive I'd suggest doing a secure erase / low level format. I had a 950 Pro that was doing similar and reformatting fixed it for me.

Sagath

Staff member
I dont think its a windows issue any more, but there was a time early on in SSD's that the drive offset would be incorrect, causing performance issues. Its an easy check, and might save you a rabbit hole search and tearing out your hair.

Could have been the same reason for your issues @lowfat.

JD

Staff member
BIOS wise, running F12b (latest beta) so perhaps that's part of it. I don't really benchmark my SSD's on any routine basis, just decided to do so as I got my FireCuda 520 last night. I'll try rolling back to the F11 BIOS though since that's the latest stable.

Try default windows NVMe driver and the driver provided by manufacturer?
No drivers for this, or any Phison drive that I'm aware of. Technically the Gigabyte AORUS drive is the same as the Seagate FireCuda 520, though Seagate did modify it as the controller has their name on it rather than Phison. I did have the AMD AHCI drivers installed but I removed those last night with no difference, even uninstalled the AMD chipset drivers without any change.

I dont think its a windows issue any more, but there was a time early on in SSD's that the drive offset would be incorrect, causing performance issues. Its an easy check, and might save you a rabbit hole search and tearing out your hair.
4K alignment? Yeah I checked that already and it's fine. If I disable write caching in Device Manager too, it sinks even lower to about 250MB/s.

If it wasn't your boot drive I'd suggest doing a secure erase / low level format. I had a 950 Pro that was doing similar and reformatting fixed it for me.
That has crossed my mind but obviously a bit annoying to do...

JD

Staff member
Rolled back my BIOS to F11, no change there.

Windows Defrag didn't show any fragmentation (well I had run "optimize" a few times), but since I had purchased EaseUS Partition Master to fix my SSDs that the Gigabyte RGB Fusion app kept wiping the file tables on, it also had a defrag tool included. EaseUS said it was 100% fragmented, so I let it run which took about 30 minutes and it fixed it?

1581536941445.png

(I also had ran Disk Cleanup and resized the partition since last night, thus this screenshot is 107/450GB instead of 155/441GB)

I still have no idea what sort of "optimization" this EaseUS tool did either as it's overly simplified.

1581537144787.png

Is there anyway to determine if TRIM is truly working? Wondering if something is amiss there.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
...What?

Disk defragging a SSD to fix this issue makes no sense. Is this a TRIM issue maybe?

Edit: Makes no sense as in we all know SSD's shouldnt require fragmentation, so doing that to fix the issue is bizarre!
Does this HDD manufacturer have software? I know the samsung & intel SSD software has a lot of functionality and can show TRIM states outside of Windows CMD "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify"

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Windows doesn't even give the "analyse" option on SSD's, so I can't be certain what Windows did or didn't see. Perhaps this EaseUS tool just forces a traditional defrag? Total speculation, and still doesn't make any sense why or how it fixed the speed.

All my other SSD's, through this EaseUS tool, say 0% fragmented though for what it's worth.

Latest posts

Twitter