What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nvme (via adapter) or sata SSD for my ageing desktop - not for boot

Bond007

My storage space starting to dwindle in my current build. I am running a 500gb mx500 with windows etc, and a 1tb wd black HDD for games/storage. The games are going to get moved off the HDD and on to an SSD.

My conundrum: SATA 2.5 is cheaper and will be a simple install to my desktop, but I feel like it will be a waste when I eventually do a rebuild (maybe in a year or so). If I go NVME I will have to deal with getting an adapter (PCIE I assume). I have never used an adapter for this before and really not sure if it is worth my time and money for games.

Basically I like the ideal of keeping it simple and cheap with a 2.5", but wonder if I will regret it when it is time to recycle the drive.

Thoughts?

JD

Staff member
I don't think you really will regret having a SATA SSD, nothing wrong with them and would still be totally fine for storing games on.

And they're still generally cheaper than a decent NVMe drive anyhow.

ipaine

If you do want to get a NVME drive then you can get adapters. I have one at work and will try to remember to let you know which one it is. So far it has worked when I needed it to.

Lysrin

I used this in my previous 4790K system. Worked great, cheap, suggested by @JD a while back: https://www.amazon.ca/Rivo-Riser-Extender-Drvie-Adapter/dp/B01N09W21D

The upside of NVMe is that you have a fast drive to move to your new system when the time comes; ditch the daughter card then and use an NVMe slot on the new board. However, I agree with JD that you won't regret the SATA SSD, especially given the price and your intended use. That can easily move to your new system too when the time comes. I did that with mine when I went 4790K to 8700K.

And honestly, yes the NVMe is faster, and I like having that (mine is a boot drive through), but the real world feel difference between Windows on a SATA SSD and the NVMe is pretty negligible IMO. But the benchmarks look nice on the NVMe! My daughter card thread is here if you're interested and want to see the speed difference when I went from PCIe 2.0 x2 to the daughter card.

Bond007

Thanks for the info all. For all those familiar with doing something like this, can you confirm I should be able to run from my motherboard with an adapter?

Z77-d3h

I believe it should through the pcie x4, though not positive. The only slot in use is the main x16 slot with my gpu.

Lysrin

Also, it could drop your x16 slot to x8, or impact other slots. In my case on Z97 it did the former, but the difference between a GPU at x16 and x8 is pretty minimal if noticeable at all.

However, if this is your board: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77-D3H-rev-10/sp#sp the write-up for the Expansion slots, point 2, is a little cryptic:

"The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX1_2/3 slots. The PCIEX1_2/3 slots will become unavailable when a PCIe x4 expansion card is installed."

I'd confirm what that means before moving ahead with the adapter card. Hard to determine which slots it is referring to without the motherboard or manual.

Bond007

So, a follow on question. This is my motherboard

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77-D3H-rev-10#ov

Can you foresee any issues if I used this:

https://www.amazon.ca/ADWITS-Adapter-Compatible-Samsung-Black/dp/B07T58NXVD/ref=mp_s_a_1_30?keywords=nvme+to+pcie+adapter&qid=1575724402&refinements=p_85:5690392011,p_72:11192170011&rnid=11192166011&rps=1&sr=8-30&th=1&psc=1

and grabbed an nvme and used it in the pcie X4 slot?

From my understanding of the manual it is the bottom x16 slot, but actually runs at x4. I believe it disables a couple x1 slots (if my understanding of the manual is right). I am not using those. Am I missing anything?

Latest posts

Twitter