What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nvme (via adapter) or sata SSD for my ageing desktop - not for boot

Entz

On that board the bottom x16 slot (x4 electrical) and all the 1x slots are actually off the south bridge. They are only pcie 2.0. Not the end of the world but if it seems a bit slower than the specs don’t worry 🤗

Bond007

On that board the bottom x16 slot (x4 electrical) and all the 1x slots are actually off the south bridge. They are only pcie 2.0. Not the end of the world but if it seems a bit slower than the specs don’t worry 🤗
Good point. So equivalent to pcie3 x2 speeds (will affect peak numbers, but still be faster than sata). Otherwise do you think I would be fine with this setup for a games drive? I don't think it affects any of the other ports/etc or the gpu pcie lanes.

Entz

it is more than fine, I wouldn’t worry too much. It is still way faster than SATA. Technically it has to share DMI bandwidth with other things but I doubt it will affect much. Like your ssd may drop to 900MB/s while hitting the network hard or something silly like that doesn’t matter much.

Twitter