What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

OC'ing p5n32e sli plus/e6750 Bios wont save

odis172

Hey guys, so i recently installed a watercooling system (my first :punk:) Have the cpu, NB, SB cooled, so temps are great. Though Im having trouble Overclocking my e6750 past 3.5ghz (100% stable at 3.5). Whenever I set the effective FSB speed to 1770 then F10, the screen goes black, and it looks like its going to boot right up, but it doesnt. When i restart, the cpu is running at stock 2.6ghz, though in the bios all the settings indicate it should have an effective fsb of 1770( or whatever setting i previously put there above 1760) In order to get it into an oc state again, I have to set the fsb to anywhere below 1770 then it kicks in apon reboot.

Currant settings
bios revision 1003
Core 1.4v
Vtt 1.25
NB 1.55
SB 1.55
Dimms 2.0v with stock timings 5-5-5-18 (tried 2.1 no effect)

bojangles

That's ASUS' CPU Parameter Recall protection kicking in. It resets the CPU back to default FSB and multiplier to make sure the computer boots back up. It looks like you've hit a wall, so I don't think you can get any higher there man. Remember, cooling is one thing, the chip is another. The 600 series chips aren't the best of overclockers, but it looks like you've got a pretty decent one with that setup.

odis172

C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
When the system hangs due to overclocking failure, there is no need to open the case to clear CMOS data. Just simply restart the system, the BIOS would show the previous setting and then users can amend the CPU setting again.

So is it loading default values because it was set too high and unstable? or it just wont let me go that far? Wonder if i can use ntune to modify the fsb from within windows.. though from what ive heard about that program it fails.

odis172

I figured it out, when i entered the new bios settings, the system was immediatly becoming unstable, and so the recall was kicking in, dumping it back to stock settings. You are indeed correct, I have met the wall. The problem is that at this point, it required huge jumps in voltages inorder to increase the mhz by a few. I had to increase the NB voltage from 1.5 to 1.6, and the cpu VTT from 1.3 to 1.45 to get it to boot into windows at 3.58Ghz. Even then it crapped out in prime after a few mins, and im not too comfortable increasing the voltages much more. So ive settled on 3.5Ghz, currantly lowering voltages and tightening timings, thx for the input.

bojangles

NP man. I've had this happen multiple times :(. I have the P5N32-SLI Premium, the 590i chipset, and I can only get my E6600 to 3 GHz. I was hoping I could push it further, but I wasted my money on a board that doesn't help at all LOL. 3.5 GHz is a very decent OC from that board. Grats!

P.S. Sorry for the late reply...I forgot I made a reply in this thread :'( .

Twitter