What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ocing q6700 with 680i Chipset

Babrbarossa

Website
www.unbf.ca
I don't know much about q6700s but I know with the later q6600s, people were having shitty overclocks in general- few people getting over 3GHz, and like B1LK1 said, four sores does produce more heat than two so it might just be a shitty stepping and too much heat. people used to report FSB holes on those boards from about 315 to 350 as well- perhaps you shopuld try giving a good shot of voltage and going beyong 350 just for S&Gs. The problem is that the ASUS 680i boards can be kinda crappy with those quads anyway- they diverge from the reference design and while they are great with dual cores, they can have trouble with quads. Try bios 1203 and these settings and see if it does you any better:

Vcore 1.37-1.40
Memory 2.1v
1.2HT V at 1.25v
NB 1.35v
SB 1.50v
CPU VTT 1.55v

Here is a a thread about the hardware issues with these boards:

A1 Revising your Motherboards for Kentsfield - VR-Zone.com: News and Reviews

bmfmass

So I got this q9300 with the Intel DP45SG Extreme mobo and a q6700 with a P5N32-E SLI and 6G of ram total.
One Im building for myself the other my brother gets, which one is the better for gaming with some minor ocing.
Another thing is I just realized the Intel board only uses DDR3 which is rather expensive, so I was wondering if it was better buying DDR3 3-6G or just getting a good mobo that still uses DDR2.
Any opinions?

b1lk1

The 3GB-6B kits are meant for Intel i7 platforms. Get a 2GB or 4GB DDR3 kit if that is the wauy you go. I would personally stick to DDR2 for now since it is stupidly cheap and plentiful.

bmfmass

I ended up just buying a P5Q-E for the q9300 using DDR2 still, was less money than buying DDR3 4G, oced at 3G no prob.
My brother will get the q6700 with the 680i chipset,still better system than what he currently has, an AMD 5000.
Thanks for the advice and help.

Latest posts

Twitter