What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ocing q6700 with 680i Chipset

bmfmass

Im reading about how to overclock a q6700 to 3.2Ghz is a breeze but Im only getting to 2.93Ghz.
Im running P5N32-E SLI 680i chipset board with OCZ 4G DDR2 800 ram, I even have settings to overclock for me automatically in the bios.
Both auto and manual settings wont go pass 2.93Ghz.
Bios is updated and still no luck.
Another question is would this mobo support the q9300.
I ordered the q9300 with Intel DP45SG Extreme mobo (my brother needs an upgrade), is it worth me keeping the q6700 setup I have now or switching to q9300?

Thanks

Babrbarossa

Have you adjusted volatges at all? what are the voltages at for CPU, memory?

Also - is that four 1GB sticks of ram, or is it two 2GB sticks?

bmfmass

Voltage for memory has been adjusted to 2.1V cpu is at 1.296V running at 2.93Ghz, I figured since Im only ocing to 3Ghz I didnt need to go higher.
I had it upto 3.06Ghz before but wasnt stable now I just cant pass 2.93Ghz.

Babrbarossa

It might be worth checking to see whether the instability is coming from the memory or the CPU (usin g a free memtest program)- if you are running four sticks there is a greater chance of instability- one of the sticks might be a little wonky. you can aslo try underclocking the memory by loosening the timings or running one stick while you try OCing the CPU. Also, I would try to give the CPU volatge a bump to 1.4V and try overclocking a little more while keeping a close eye on temps. If your temps are still good and the extra voltage didn't help in giving you a little better OC, then it might be a good sign that it's another problem. If it does give you the oc you're looking for, then start to scale back the voltage until you run into instability again, then bring it back up a notch or two and you will be good.

bmfmass

I have another concern, my voltages for 1.2VHT, SB core, CPU VTT, NB core and memory voltages are all at 4.08V when I use Pc ProbeII from Asus.
My temps are good though, cpu at 38c memory at 37c, computer is running stable at 2.93Ghz.
How accurate is this program?
Running 4 sticks of OCZ vista upgrade 5-5-5-15.

Babrbarossa

Not sure what the hell the deal is with those voltages, but I wouldn't worry about it because if they were right, there would be flames shooting out of your case.

Since you're running four sticks of ram, I'd try pulling out three and re-try overclocking the CPU.

What kind of cooling are you using on the CPU?

I also forgot to ask if your memory was unlinked- is it?

bmfmass

I pulled out the ram, tried 2 sticks seperatly, both the same results.
Upped the voltage on the CPU and still nothing.
Upped the ram to 1333 to run at 3.33Ghz but it didnt like that, went to 3.06Mhz didnt like that either.
So its running atable at 2.93Ghz again.

Last edited:

b1lk1

OCZ Vindicator is a terrible cooler for overclocking Quads. I'd say you are probably heat limited and many 680i boards also do not overclock well at all with Quads.