What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ocz ssd v2 fw update before os install??

jtf2

i have seen guides on how to update fw within windows on ocz website,can you update the fw off a usb stick before install is done on a fresh drive?
thanks

dustin1706

As of a few months ago (when I updated my Vertex 2) OCZ said "Windows is required to update the drive". They also say " The updater runs fine in Windows 7 or Vista 64-bit, it will NOT run from a 64-bit Install DVD or Recovery CD"

I just ran their tool in win7 64 and had no problems. I did read where they said that it is common to have a blue screen immediately after the update, but just reboot your PC and it will be fine. I had no blue screen and the PC restarted by itself and has been fine since.

jtf2

i had a moment of stupidity lol
i just hooked up the drive on my spare rig.
weird thing is the firmware shown by crystaldisk as 1.27
yet the most current fw on ocz website is 1.24?

not sure now what to do about the flash?

AkG

Usually when that happens and you have a "higher" firmware than shown it just means your SSD is brand new off the assembly line and the firmware needed to be incremented to support the newer / dif NAND used in it. Basically (assuming this is what is going on) your drive has 1.24 that has been tweaked to work with newer NAND....in other words they just swapped mfg'ers OR batches of NAND and need to add in its code to the controller. The next "offical" firmware will have these micro code updates included in it. Its nothing to panic over. BUT download the OCZ Toolbox and see what firmware IT comes back with...just in case. Ive never heard CD info screw up before but there is always room for a first time! :)

Personally, I always update the firmware BEFORE doing a build as while it is supposed to be non-destructive...why risk it (nothing sucks worse than a days worth of effort down the tube over a bricked SSD). Sticking it in as a D drive in another rig is also how I do it. ;)

jtf2

thanks for reply.
ocz toolbox did come back with fw 1.27.
time to start installing w7 pro

Latest posts

Twitter