What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Odd POST behavior from Dell laptop

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Customer of mine brough back her 2018 Dell Inspiron 5775 that would no longer POST, not even to the Dell logo. Warranty ended March 2019.

Plugged in my monitor, no POST.
Took out the back panel, checked for obvious board damage. None.
HDD was backed up to my server using an external caddy with no access issues.
Left the HDD out.
Battery is fine, no bulges.
Upon power up, CPU fan spins for a second only.
Removed the dvd player, no POST.
Removed the wifi module, no POST.
Replaced the CMOS battery, no POST.
Took out channel B mem stick, no POST.

Upon removing the second ram stick and powering up, BIOS diagnostic LED started. 2 ambers, 3 whites. Per Dell, code is 'missing memory'.

So. Is the board toast, or am I missing something obvious since the board can recognize the lack of ram?
A new board is 250usd, for a laptop she paid 400can.

Sagath

Staff member
I assume you swapped the memory, as well as just removing it?

It seems totally plausible to me that the board BIOS checks RAM before trying to initiate something else that isnt working, like iGPU, and its failing to post after that step. Troubleshooting laptops is an effort in futility usually since you cant component swap.

The only other thing I can recommend is verify the barrel plug power out voltage is good.

Soultribunal

Staff member
You've basically gone through everything that you can physically do. The board is more than likely toast.
Sucks that the replacement board is almost as much as the unit itself.

The only spin that is good that I can put on this is that it's Black Friday Tomorrow so there might be a deal to be had.

-ST

Latest posts

Twitter