What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Odd Q: pure passive vs partial

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Odd question I just asked myself.

Background: I've got an external Nvme in a usb 3.1 aluminum enclosure. It's essentially a small ALU heatsink.

I use it in two positions on my desk:
1) Sitting completely by itself. Aka allowed to cool solely through passive radiation of heat.
2) I put it in the direct path of an exhaust fan. Which obviously has far greater airflow *but* the air is far hotter.

Now for a while I've assumed that #2 is better, but I'm not certain on it.

Sufficed to say, I need to ask someone with knowledge of thermodynamics and physics.
There must be a way to determine at what point one method is superior or inferior to the other. Ex: with a far greater heatsink crossection the enclosures heatsink might perform far better passively and possibly Worse in the exhaust of the PC, since more of the heatsink could soak in the heat of said exhaust.

Any takers? Maybe I should just keep these thoughts in my head...

Izerous

Folding Team
Would need to know temperature deltas to make any mathematical statement about it i think. If it is heating up to 80'c for example still air at 21'c and moving are at 30'c is not going to be the same thing as it heating up to 30'c and comparing 21'c still air vs 30'c moving air.

Soultribunal

Staff member
There are a lot more variables and information one needs to actually make the calculations to figure this out.

However, if the NVME Drive has temp sensors on it. Just do the test yourself. Write some big files to and from it simultaneously (so you get sequential reads and writes) and measure the temps via software. Then repeat with it in the path of the fan.

Generally speaking #2 will only be a detriment if the Exhaust Air is Warmer than the unit when its being passively cooled.

-ST

Latest posts