What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

odd seagate drive.........

rob123

an odd occurrence with the seagte 500gb used as the system drive on my windows home server.

the motherboard reported during one start up that the smart was bad. so i turned smart off and everything was normal. the drives kept on reporting to the operating system that it was bad. it keeps on doing this once per day.

i d/l a prog from seagate (seatools)to test the drive. the bad one passed all the tests i could throw at it. does this still indicate imminent failure or is the smart on that drive out of whack?

thx for any info.

rob123

sswilson

Staff member
Much depends on what's on the drive Rob.

If it were my own system, I wouldn't worry about it as a failure wouldn't bother me much... OTOH, if you can't afford to lose what's on the drive I'd suggest selling it off to somebody (full disclosure of what it's doing of course) for $20 - $30 and then putting that towards a new HDD.

grinder

yeah, like sswilson said;

if the data on your 500 is disposable then might as well run the drive until it dies. Otherwise pull your data off right away and migrate it to a new/other disk to be on the safe side.

I usually disable SMART monitoring. But speaking from experience - the times that SMART monitoring was enabled a drive failure was not far behind the SMART warnings.

Of course it is worth noting that i have had HDD's fail out of the blue even with SMART enabled.