What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ok what would you do if you were in my position

gingerbee

So after reading techpowerup article on zen 2/ryzen 3000 performance gain/loss with faster ram I am not sure what to do. But these are my options

I have 2 kits of ram which have given me loads of problems to the point that it had me questioning if my motherboard was faulty.
(maybe still not sure but I don't think so) the second kit I have 2 of so 4x8gb@ 3600mhz/mt's @cl18

dram kits I have.

So my options are
1. buy new board see if ram runs as it should ( not liking this since I have spent way more then wanted to on this upgrade already )
2. run the 32gb kit at stock or XMP timings just lower speed like 2800mhz/mt's if I can get it to work ( still up in the air on that ) SK Hynix chips afr
3. run the 4x8gb kit which seems to be running at XMP timings just at a lower speed of 3400mhz/mt's @cl18. Micron h/e chips

The 4x8gb would run at XMP speed but will cause my audio to crackle which drives me nuts of course

I really don't know why it bugs me so much to not have the ram run at the speeds they say it should but it does and I have never OC ram before I always just run the DOCP/XMP profile and had it work up to this point. Even all my zen 1 CPU's where not this hard to get the ram to run at the speed it rated for

I can still return the second kit or use it for a ram upgrade around the house for other PC's and there's always just sell the ram I don't need and give back a little to people who need a break on the price :D

Just asking for thoughts since I am not buying anymore ram IE b-die in the hopes it all works out.

Thanks for taking the time to read my longA$$ post

Bond007

Have you tried all the sticks individually? Maybe it is a single bad (slow) stick causing the problems.

gingerbee

ya I was thinking it was motherboard too but I am not sure and I mean I will spend the money if I have too but it runs fine if I run the XMP profile and just slow down the speed from 3600 to 3400 which makes no sense if the board had a problem it would do it all the time not when it felt like it.

plus with voltages for everything cpu/soc/ram all being the same when using my other ram and it doesn't do it at all this also makes me think it's not the board and just a twitch with Asus boards which others online have had to deal with on Asus intel boards ( certain voltages being just too high at default )

plus I have tested every stick with several different memory tests they all come back perfect. plus I just found a new bug when playing battlefront 2 the theatrical shots in-between gameplay freeze for several mins then start back up again. haven't had a chance to find out if it happens with other games.

I am using to buying bleeding edge hardware I have never had this many problems before thanks for looking all

gingerbee

have done it under XMP, have done it at stock and tested the sticks by themselves in 2 different PC's have also tested the ram in 3 other PC's in the house they work fine. now you started to see why I am frustrated/confused cause it doesn't make sense. plus I found that battlefront 2 won't load right unless I start afresh game and when I do it stutter/freezes inthe movie parts in-between gameplay which I can't explain cause it plays other games fine

gingerbee

thanks shadow its driving me nuts just want my new pc to work so I can encode some 4k movie I have to do.

Thinking about buying a new gigabyte elite board and RMA the other one if it comes back after testing no problems then I can at least sell it with confidence it works right.

Dead Things

Have you tried the memory @ 3200 or lower? That was about the max on Zen and Zen+ - so maybe you just have a Zen2 with a below-average IMC.

FWIW, my B-Die XMP profiles never boot on AMD - only Intel.

Latest posts