What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ok what would you do if you were in my position

gingerbee

I was trying the 4x8gb 3600mhz kit @3400 and it seemed to work and I have tested it there but will need more time I think to test.

I was thinking it may be a shitty IMC on my 3900x but not sure how to tell. Thanks for the info on your b-die's I mean for the amount of performance left on the table running ram @2133 I think I would leave it there if the pc would be stable. just getting weird results on one game so far hoping its just that game. but with that said I can't find anyone else having this problem with SW BF 2

on to more testing

JD

Staff member
I presume you're running the latest BIOS? Along with the latest AMD chipset drivers?

Perhaps that new microcode update that's due soon might fix your problems too though since they're claiming 100+ improvements/fixes with it.

gingerbee

yup and yup on both the bios and the drivers. when is this new code dropping I havent heard anything? I check Asus every day hoping for a new bios

thanks, everyone for reading and suggestions

JD

Staff member
It was from a MSI leaked slide/twitter post, supposed to be coming out with the 3950X.

Have you tried your 3900X in your B350 boards? That would tell you if it is your board causing the issues possibly.

gingerbee

I have thought about trying that but the b350 boards have a very limited vrm I think its a 4 phase. but it may come to that.
( which may be 2 just using a doubler I am not sure )

I really don't think it'S my board just cause there's really not a stability issue it seems to be focused around the ram or imc. one bridge at a time

Plus with the ram at stock 2133 speed the pc is rock stable the only problem seems to be the one game ( which I can't explain ) just found it out today when I tried to play it

JD

Staff member
I wouldn't advise running for any long length of time, but enough to test the couple things you've had issues with and to try running at 3200 RAM speeds. 3400-3600 is technically overclocking, so I wouldn't count on that or stress a B350 motherboard with it. Maybe direct a fan at the VRM's too when testing if you're concerned.

Not the greatest example, but my 2700X runs 4x16GB at 2933 just fine, but 3200 does not. With enough tweaking it might, but I tried using the DRAM calculator settings which didn't help and of course the XMP profile doesn't work either. I didn't buy any "special" RAM, just the cheapest G.SKILL set I could find at the time. However, in my mind, 2933 is what the CPU is rated at, so it's working as expected.

In your case, I'd expect any RAM to simply "work" at 3200 without much struggle, assuming the RAM was 3200+ rated and not defective. It's feasible your CPU itself is defective. It sounds like you've ruled out your RAM by swapping between machines? So I think your next thing to rule out is to swap boards. If the issues are similar there, then RMA the CPU.

gingerbee

Thanks all sounds like a plan I will get at it today or tomorrow thanks again for the advice.
EDIT
really starting to think there nothing wrong with my board cause it ran prime all night no problems no error's and I have found a load of people have problems with SW BF 2 running AMD CPU's/GPUs seems there are some problems with it getting stuck where I am getting stuck.

That and I didn't realize anything over 3200 is an overclock I thought it was good till 3600. so I am going to run some tests today cause ripping apart my other PC's to test my workstation system is not something I really want to do. if I have to I will buy another board be it b450/x570 to test and RMA the other one if it turns out there is a problem. if not I will sell the board I decide I like the least lol. thanks all ripping apart one system I think is easier than tearing apart 2 ( which the one is my HTPC and used all the time lol )

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

3600mhz is the highest recommended for AMD systems as when you beyond that, it throttles something in the way the fiber inter-conntects talk and impairs performance.

JD

Staff member
As for the game issue, if it's like Destiny 2 where they had to patch the microcode, perhaps the new microcode next month will fix SWBF2 too.

If you were running 3400 fine all night, I'd consider that good to go. AMD spec is only 3200, so anything beyond that is luck of the draw, just because most people can doesn't mean everyone can. Just like an Intel 9900k is technically only rated at 2666, but most people run well beyond that, however it's still not guaranteed.

Latest posts

Twitter