What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ok , what's the deal ?

Rison

I still have one of your SR-2s Rison! Alas, it remains off at this time. I used cryptocurrencies to offset electricity costs for a while, but that's not as effective any more. Now, unless I can justify the electricity costs for heating purposes in the winter, only my daily driver is folding since I leave it on all the time anyway. Escalating electricity costs here in Ontario have made folding untenable financially. Anyone want a 4P G34 server?
Yeah, I sold two of them off in 2012 and the last one in 2013.
I can't see much use for the SR2's since bigadv died over a year ago. If I were doing a lot of media rendering it could be useful with fast SSD arrays. As a gaming or folding box, it has passed its time.
I used to run 3 of those SR2's, I know I sold one to you, one to dandelioneater in 2012 and someone else I can't remember in 2013.

I installed the client at home and on my work PC for giggles, wow.. has that ever changed.
I'll be honest, the itch is back to fold.. I have no idea why every 3-4 years I come back to it. I've been doing this since the RC5-64 contest back in the early 2000's.

I have a better computer at home, I'm just waiting on a few parts from NCIX to finish rebuilding. The current box now is a shuttle i5 2500, and I have a i7 4790k with a GTX 960. I got some new Intel 540s's coming and maxing out the 32G of ram.
I had two 4790 systems since last year but haven't used them for anything really. Since I haven't had time for games I went back to my old shuttle system. I sold one of the i7 systems and going to build a new gaming system finally (again)
I would like to say it's a build for Battlefield 1, but it's not. It's just a happy coincidence that it's coming out and I'm looking forward to playing it. Might as well fold with the new box to see what it can do.

The cost of electricity in ON has always been lower than here in NS. It's now just catching up.
I believe we used to have 13c/kwh and ON used to be around 8c back when I used to fold. You're now up to 8-18c (non peak to peak), and NS is around 15c. The only thing good about QC is their rates are still 8c.
Just to complain about electricity, isn't it great that the ON government is switching everyone to electric power for home heating? ... (insert rage statement here).
If I were to startup folding in ON, i'd have them only working from 7PM to 7AM, there's no way i'd be doing anything at 18c/kwh.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I'll drop a few WUs down for a while and see how I feel about it afterwards....

As far as why folks have stopped folding???

I personally got tired of being talked down to by the folks over at the forums when asking what I thought were reasonable questions.

MARSTG

The gtx960 was good for around 135k ppd. So long with my dream of folding on a low power gtx 950 from evga. After teasing the public for a month apparently they won't produce them at all. We'll see how Polaris 10/11 does.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I've fired back up the Server earlier today. And as with every single new install, hiccups... would not download a WU. Guess what. Not only PG killed the BigAdv WUs for our MP servers, the MAXIMUM NUMBER OF CORES ALLOWED PER FOLDING SLOT IS 24.

Really Vijay? GPU all the way I guess. But not for moi. I'll see how this 2P AMD 6272 setup can output after a few days, then'll I'll see if I continue.

Rison

I don't understand the logic of favoring GPU or CPU. Isn't it all just crunching numbers for a cause?
Even post Bigadv, they should offer WU's for the big systems, just let the systems get regular units, crunch them 1000x faster and don't put multipliers on the score like Bigadv had.

Limiting cores to 24? I remember something one time where that was the case, but with the console client you could over ride the defaults.. No clue if they have a console client now, heh.

MARSTG

But you have 32 threads with that setup. Why not split in 2 clients ? Like 1x24 and 1x6 to leave 2 cores for os duty?

Twitter