What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

OLD PC repair

kendallcschm

I was wondering.. i have an older PC laying around and i don't want to replace anyhting at all but it seems the serial controller on the MB died.. so i am replacing the MB with a new one but want to keep everything else.. here are the computer specs:

2GB DDR2 400MHz
120GB IDE HDD
3.06GHz intel pentium 4 LGA 775
200 watt PSU
CD/DVD drive is unknown..
MATX case

what MB do you guys suggest... it has to fit the processor and RAM that are currently installed

im purchasing in the USA so i used newegg.com... here are my two choices:

Newegg.com - Recertified: BIOSTAR 945GZ Micro 775 SE LGA 775 Intel 945GZ Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - Recertified: BIOSTAR P4M800 Pro-M7 LGA 775 VIA P4M800 PRO Micro ATX AGP Intel Motherboard

any suggestions welcome

Perineum

You actually need serial? I'd just did up a serial/parallel I/O card and stick it in there if you really need it.

Perineum

geeze MarkOne, I just about wet myself from that reply... guess other people need to see the other thread in order to understand why you said that though :thumb:

norfolk

Actually I have done very affordable builds for people using Biostar Mobo"s and I have yet to see any complaint"s.

Perineum

But it's.... ewwww... TigerDirect.

Seems to be you can buy something refurbished from them for the price of new at NCIX :thumb:

LarkStarr

+1 to biostar actually, I have done a few biostar builds (micro baords, socket 939 and 775) with no problems at all. they just aren't feature rich, no overclockability or anything but they do seem to work!

you could indded alternatively get a serial (sata?) controller for a PCI slot. might be cheaper

Latest posts