What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Old School Shareware Games?

FreeKnight

I know that feeling. Sitting here with the 5900x 32gb ram and a 3090, playing King's Quest 4 and a few other old Sierra quest games.

Oh man Keen brings back memories. Played those lots, along with the old school Duke Nukem (pre 3D) and Bio Menace.

I was also playing Bubble Bobble again just a couple weeks ago.
Quest for glory is the Sierra series I seem to come back to every year. 1 and 3 are definitely weaker entries, but 2 and 4 are gems.

AGD interactive has free fan remakes of KQ I, II & III as well as QFG II (which has been expanded as well) on their website

vulcan500rider

There are a lot of memories coming back because of this thread. I too, was of the Commander Keen generation, and picked up all sorts of diskettes from computer stores with shareware games on them. I had totally forgotten about Raptor, though...wow.

I think Hugo's House of Horrors was shareware, too, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I do remember that it taught me the word "befuddled."

Bond007

Anyone ever put time in elasto mania? That was a game a played a surprising amount for what it is. Apparently it has been remastered (just found out).

ipaine

A YouTube channel I follow called MetalJesusRocks just did a couple interviews with the Williams'. It's pretty great. Talks about all the old school Sierra games, all the studios the owned, etc.
Yea I watch his stuff. He worked for Sierra back in the day too.
Quest for glory is the Sierra series I seem to come back to every year. 1 and 3 are definitely weaker entries, but 2 and 4 are gems.

AGD interactive has free fan remakes of KQ I, II & III as well as QFG II (which has been expanded as well) on their website
I'm due for a good QfG playthrough. And the AGD remakes have been done quite well.

Skippman

Yea I watch his stuff. He worked for Sierra back in the day too.

I'm due for a good QfG playthrough. And the AGD remakes have been done quite well.

Man, I loved QfG! The 5th ones soundtrack was amazing even if the game was... lackluster. A byproduct of the early 3D era. Being able to import your character from game to game was amazing and one of the reasons I was diehard PC master race. That and Ultima.

ipaine

Speaking of QfG, I wonder how many people have saves as old as I do.

Just looked and I have saves for QfG 1 dating back to August 30th, 1994. Also looks like I have a set of magic user end game saves from QfG 1, 2, 3 and 4 dating in 97.

Leisure Suit Larry 1 saves from July 1992
Police Quest 1 saves from Feb 1994
Space Quest 2 from Oct 1992
King's Quest 6 from April 1993

And bunches of other old save games from back in the day. And it looks like the oldest I can find is a bunch of save games for Street Rod from Feb 5th, 1990. So 32 years, 3 months or 11777 days.

Yup kind of hard to deny being a digital hoarder.

Skippman

And bunches of other old save games from back in the day. And it looks like the oldest I can find is a bunch of save games for Street Rod from Feb 5th, 1990. So 32 years, 3 months or 11777 days.

Man I haven't thought about Street Rod in YEARS. I'm having flashbacks to playing on my 386SX/16 with 2MB of RAM on a 14" VGA monitor thinking I was king of the world. The original X-Wing was the game that got me into PC modding as I needed 4MB of RAM and a Sound Card so I had to upgrade my ancient Packard Bell.

FreeKnight

Speaking of QfG, I wonder how many people have saves as old as I do.

Just looked and I have saves for QfG 1 dating back to August 30th, 1994. Also looks like I have a set of magic user end game saves from QfG 1, 2, 3 and 4 dating in 97.

Leisure Suit Larry 1 saves from July 1992
Police Quest 1 saves from Feb 1994
Space Quest 2 from Oct 1992
King's Quest 6 from April 1993

I used to have saves that dated to roughly to the late 90s or early 00s for QfG but lost them at some point. I have a dropbox folder with some saves backed up for it and ME now though lol

ipaine

Man I haven't thought about Street Rod in YEARS. I'm having flashbacks to playing on my 386SX/16 with 2MB of RAM on a 14" VGA monitor thinking I was king of the world. The original X-Wing was the game that got me into PC modding as I needed 4MB of RAM and a Sound Card so I had to upgrade my ancient Packard Bell.
Holy smokes, I can't belive someone else even remembers it. Loved that game and would love to have a modern equivalent.
I used to have saves that dated to roughly to the late 90s or early 00s for QfG but lost them at some point. I have a dropbox folder with some saves backed up for it and ME now though lol
I honestly thought I had lost these, but with my digital hoarding issues I found them in two different spots both about 5 folders deep. Really should move them to the cloud as well.

Skippman

Holy smokes, I can't belive someone else even remembers it. Loved that game and would love to have a modern equivalent.

I honestly thought I had lost these, but with my digital hoarding issues I found them in two different spots both about 5 folders deep. Really should move them to the cloud as well.

I have a bunch of old saves on a LS120 disc and a ZIP disc. Don't think I'll be recovering any of that anytime soon.

I just downloaded and started playing Tryain again. Just as awesome as I remember!