What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Older box won't start Windows with an Nvidia Card

LHN91

So I've got a bit of an odd issue.

I've got an older Socket 775 box, with an e8400 and 3 GB of DDR2.

For some reason, it will boot Windows just fine with the onboard graphics, and several older PCI-E Ati cards (I've tried a 2600 XT, X1550, and an x300 at least) but it will not boot with a Geforce 220.

It posts and then hangs at a blinking cursor.

It also won't go into the bios with a PS2 keyboard and the Nvidia card installed - it will with a usb one but then it hangs in the bios.

In fact, this is the second machine I've run into this type of issue - the other one is an AM2+ board. On that one, a similar issue occurs except there I've also attempted a Geforce 460, and this machine won't display at all. Again, it boots and runs just fine with any Ati card I've tried.

Edit: I also want to note that the AM2 board I can sometimes get to post and run with a CMOS reset, but it generally fails on rebooting.

I know that the 220 and 460 work, as they both been tested in other machines.

The 220 at least is an entirely PCI-E bus powered card, it should not be stressing the PSU.

Any ideas? Or do I just have a pair of Nvidia hating motherboards? :haha:

MARSTG

On the AMD board could be the bios battery. Try upgrading the bios on the Intel board. Sometimes te board have weird issues with GPUs, I had a Supermicro that would not display anything on the first pcie x4 slot, even when reduced to x1 with riser. would not boot a 5450. Later I found out there was a general issue, Tyan offered a bios update while Supermicro didn't!

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

It posts and then hangs at a blinking cursor.
best check your MB name model and it's ReVision of MB not bios version to get correct firmware

also what 0S flashing curser{where? upper or lower screen} corrupt boot file

LHN91

On the Socket 775 box, it's blinking on the top left.

I'm going to take a stab at updating the bios on that one, it's an HP/Compaq OEM MSI board, so I'll have to see if there is an update from HP.

To be honest, I don't remember if I updated the AMD board or not. I'll also try a new CMOS battery.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

KaptCrunch

means corrupt boot file

if have any files wanted on hdd can use a usb hdd adapter to remove files then format an install OS again

LHN91

If it's a corrupt boot file, then why does the same machine boot as is with several Ati cards and the onboard, with no other modifications?

I can literally pull out the nvidia card, slap in any other brand of card, and it boots just fine.

enaberif

means corrupt boot file

if have any files wanted on hdd can use a usb hdd adapter to remove files then format an install OS again
Hardly a corrupt boot file. If anything it is more likely the card won't work with an older motherboard. Some cards have certain PCI-E specs and if they don't meet it won't work.

Older 775 boards may only be PCI-E 1.0 where the card needs 2.0 or newer.

KaptCrunch

so with ati posting whats the bios screen report any info of motherboard or manufacture or what the asset tag say

still haven't say your using Linux or win3.1

LHN91

Just as a reference:

Attempted with both Win 7 and Win 10.
The Socket 775 board is an OEM HP/Compaq board, likely an MSI OEM board.
The AM2 board is a Gigabyte 770 chipset board, I believe.

I'm not at either one at this second so I don't have the exact specs.

At the very least, I would have thought the Geforce 220 would have worked - it came out when PCI-E 2.0 was standard, in 2009, so I would have thought it would work on 1.0 - I could understand the 460, it was a later card.

i7Baby

"I can literally pull out the nvidia card, slap in any other brand of card, and it boots just fine." - could be a dud card.

POST beep code? See Computer POST and beep codes - might get closer. Need to fit an internal Mobo speaker.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter