What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Older Power Supply with newer MB?

Peter9b

Hi, can you help me with problem regarding power supply.

It is about older machine that my friend need to use for his school so I want to help assemble it.

Power Supply is Thermaltake TR2-470 (470W)

MB is Asus p8Z77-V LE, CPU is i5-2500K

So the Power Supply doesn't have additional connector for this board. I think I heard there is some adapter to use so I can use it for this board? Do you know what kind of adapter? Will it work, and is it safe?
(We don't need to install any power consuming GPU)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

sswilson

Staff member
I edited out the image file, you've given us the power supply's model number which is good enough.

I'm assuming you're concerned about the fact that the power supply only has a 4 pin 12V ATX plug as opposed to an 8 pin?

If I'm reading the manual correctly.... you should be fine, however, 450W is listed as bare minimum for that board.

• Do not forget to connect the 4-pin / 8-pin EATX12 V power plug; otherwise, the system will not boot.

Izerous

Folding Team
Pretty sure a lot of boards will run fine with 4 of the 8 for the CPU plugged in as long as it isn't a high TDP CPU and not overclocking.

CPU model might be a factor here that is important.

Bond007

Two points:

1. as mentioned, many boards with 8 pin will run with a 4 pin.

2. that is not old an old power supply, but also low quality. Personally I wouldn’t run it on any system that you care about at all.

Latest posts

Twitter