What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Older video cards is more powerful than current low budget card?

t_mo_t

Hey guys,

My GTX275 is now officially broken (BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys when device is enabled, but works fine when device is disabled).

Since I will be using my desktop for software development, I thought I would just replace it with a low-budget GPU since I dont play games anymore too. But this comparison really amazes me : GeForce GTX 275 vs GT 710 ..

My question is, apart from the low power requirements, higher memory clock speed (but significantly lower clock speed?) and support for the latest technology and directx, why would I need to get a newer card?

moocow

Better mutliple monitor support. I'm looking at a 750TI to replace my old 9800GTX on my sister's Hackintosh because it does 3 monitor output instead of just two. If you're happy with just 2 monitors then just find any card and replace it.

sswilson

Staff member
You're comparing apples and oranges across multiple generations and price points.

The GTX 275 was arguably the top end of the consumer retail market while the card you've chosen to compare it to is essentially one step above onboard. Try comparing the 275 to something in the $150ish range, or if your needs are strictly cpu bound so long as you can get something up on the screen, stick with onboard.

t_mo_t

Better mutliple monitor support. I'm looking at a 750TI to replace my old 9800GTX on my sister's Hackintosh because it does 3 monitor output instead of just two. If you're happy with just 2 monitors then just find any card and replace it.

yes, it does support more than 2 monitors, but i think i have a bit of ADD where i cant focus when having more than 2 monitors in front of me lol

You're comparing apples and oranges across multiple generations and price points.

The GTX 275 was arguably the top end of the consumer retail market while the card you've chosen to compare it to is essentially one step above onboard. Try comparing the 275 to something in the $150ish range, or if your needs are strictly cpu bound so long as you can get something up on the screen, stick with onboard.

I cant have the onboard since i m using the old p55 mobo, currently with the device being disabled but able to display out the windows (albeit just one), it is still ok, but i really think i need to replace that video card..

GPU 2012 Benchmarks - Compare Products on AnandTech

You can flip around that ^ basically 650tiboost / 750ti is just above the gtx275 so if the gtx275 is broken just get a gtx750ti or gtx950

hmmm i see... lots of people recommended the 750.... which version/manuf. should i get?

upcoast604

yes, it does support more than 2 monitors, but i think i have a bit of ADD where i cant focus when having more than 2 monitors in front of me lol

I cant have the onboard since i m using the old p55 mobo, currently with the device being disabled but able to display out the windows (albeit just one), it is still ok, but i really think i need to replace that video card..

hmmm i see... lots of people recommended the 750.... which version/manuf. should i get?

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC 1137MHZ 2GB GDDR5 2XDVI/2XHDMI OC Video Card - GV-N75TOC2-2GI - NCIX.com

That looks ok ^ $140 after mir.

Bond007

I agree it can seem odd given the amount of generations that have passed, but as mentioned you are comparing a once top tier gaming card against something meant to give a video signal and nothing more.

I also agree that if you don't really game, but wouldn't mind having the option to do so occasionally a 750ti is a great gpu. If you really don't game at all, then literally any cheap gpu you can buy will be fine.

KaptCrunch

also the newer card with NVidia has cuda
CUDA® said:
is a parallel computing platform and programming model invented by NVIDIA. It enables dramatic increases in computing performance by harnessing the power of the graphics processing unit (GPU). With millions of CUDA-enabled GPUs sold to date, software developers, scientists and researchers are finding broad-ranging uses for GPU computing with CUDA. Here are a few examples: Identify hidden plaque in arteries: Heart attacks are the leading cause of death worldwide. Harvard Engineering, Harvard Medical School and Brigham & Women's Hospital have teamed up to use GPUs to simulate blood flow and identify hidden arterial plaque without invasive imaging techniques or exploratory surgery.

can crunch more than older unit dosen't

MARSTG

In general yes. A gtx 670 would beat a gtx 750 ti for example. My standard card for 60FPS @1080p for older games would be the 280x : retails for around 130 used and has the same performance as a gtx 960 while costing less.

Latest posts