What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

OMG e8400, are you SERIOUS? :(

jaszypoo

So I just got this chip about a week ago, was really excited to move from AMD to intel! Didn't really pay attention to the temps much until now that I decided to oc it.

HOORAY for an E0 chip.

ZOMG ASOHFOASKDOASHFOASKDOASH for TWO, not ONE but TWO, faulty temp sensors. You've got to be kidding me. :blarg:

I tried Coretemp, Realtemp and Lavalys Everest. Shows the same thing, both cores stuck on idle and load. Only thing that changes is in Everest where the number actually fluctuates, but I'm assuming thats the sensor on the motherboard.

RMA? :shok: Let's see what newegg.ca has to say. I probably will have no PC for about 2 weeks min. Just my luck. :sad:

Untitled_5.jpg

slntdth93

since it is operating properly i dont think that intel accepts RMA's....
operating properly means that it can run at 3ghz error free

jaszypoo

But but...faulty temp sensors? :( Ambient, about 15c, I would say. Pretty cold in my room. I'm sure a regular person won't mind the temp sensors being stuck* and all but it does making ocing a little more of a hassle.

enaberif

But but...faulty temp sensors? :( Ambient, about 15c, I would say. Pretty cold in my room. I'm sure a regular person won't mind the temp sensors being stuck* and all but it does making ocing a little more of a hassle.

At 15' ambient I'm going to say for a stock CPU that is right on the money.

What are your temps idle?

If they are the same then yes they are faulty.

jaszypoo

Yeah stock CPU cooler* at the moment. Still haven't set up WC. But unfortunately, temps at idle for both cores are still the same at 33 (realtemp) or 38 (everest)

Last edited:

Chilly

And I thought I already pushed it enough. *whistles*. I'll give it another shot in a bit. Want to finish this prime run.

No doubt it is faulty though. sigh.

It's not faulty, plenty 45nm chips are known to have "stuck" temp sensors at lower temperatures. Once you start pushing it a bit, it will become "unstuck" at the higher temps. The proc's that tend to have "stuck" temps, become "unstuck" around 20c to tjmax. The temp sensor was never designed to be too accurate at lower temps anyway.

Its only at higher temps(close to tjmax) are they really accurate anyways. Your chips not defective.

Some reading for you;
IntelBurnTest - This will take your CPU to temps that will go above the value its "stuck" at :thumb:
Real Temp - Long read(100+ pages!), but if you do some simple searches in the thread, you'll find its a fairly common issue at lower temps.
e8400/e8500 Retail OC Thread - A great resource and list of what OC's people are getting with their E8xxx series CPU's
E8600 stuck temp sensor - A bit of discussion about this guys E8600, more reinforcement that the "stuck" temps are normal, worse case scenario yours is one of the ones that won't start rising till your CPU hits 50c or more, which isn't bad either way.

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
Another Problem with some E8400 Chips (as I had mentioned in another thread) is some BIOS versions (depending on the MB) read the Temp on Die wrong.
When I first purchased my Chip, I had to flash the BIOS in XP because it was reading -11 degrees! After that I started to get real values again.

That is my two cents into this though.
With an ambient of 15 degrees .... I could see that being right.

My thoughts at least,

Best Regards,
ST

Latest posts