What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Omg halp

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Sounds right. I remember the switch from the P4 to i7 series (920) and the 920 was definitely not-pinned.

Cannon Fodder

My first board with pins was a Nvidia n-force board. From what I found it looks like the "Land Grid Array" started with socket LGA775 on the Pentium 4 in 2004.

Yeah that sounds about right TBH.
I actually posted somewhere else on here my original Pentium 1 (200 w/MMX) !!! and it was using the Pin on CPU style, I just couldn't recall when it switched around. I've worked with it, but in all the builds I've done, I still prefer AMD's way.

Yup, I had a Pentium 4 on Socket 478, which was PGA, and the next socket, as crazyea mentioned, was the LGA 775, and yes, I too prefer PGA, since the pins are much easier to straighten.

Aaaaand, according to a blurb on Tom's, AMD's AM5 socket may just end up being LGA as well: AM5 Socket (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

Soultribunal

Staff member
Yup, I had a Pentium 4 on Socket 478, which was PGA, and the next socket, as crazyea mentioned, was the LGA 775, and yes, I too prefer PGA, since the pins are much easier to straighten.

Aaaaand, according to a blurb on Tom's, AMD's AM5 socket may just end up being LGA as well: AM5 Socket (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

Yeah I read that too ironically. PGA was always nice, get that goop on a LGA socket and kiss the board goodbye.

-ST

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Yeah my sage board arrived like they from eBay I'm having them repaired hopefully bought replacement sockets for them and a bios chip.sinxe one failed during flash.

rjbarker

Interesting way to apply grease for sure....I tend to go the "pea size" or "X" method though ;)

Trust you got her cleaned up n working !

Latest posts