What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

onboard audio problem

krajee

It's hard to explain, so let's give it a shot... Occasionally, my audio doesn't work. A reboot typically fixes the problem, but I want to see if there's a permanent solution. The board was bought used, and was working perfectly fine for the last two months until one day it just didn't work when I turned it on. Ever since then, I would occasionally get no audio output to the analog or to the optical, but only when turning the machine on, rebooting, or waking up from sleep mode, never randomly when it has been on and working. I had my cpu/ram oc'd, but bringing everything back to stock settings doesn't help.

I think someone should just tell me that the problem is unfixable so I have an excuse to pick up a nice sound card.

_dangtx_

Banned
live cd, and see if it does it again. nope? software. yup? after bios defaults(make sure it doesnt put stuff to sleep to save power),again? get the sound card.

frontier204

So you're like me with your hardware - want to get it on its last leg before replacing? (although if I hate a piece of electronics I'll deliberately be less careful with it in the hopes of wearing it down faster :ph34r: )

You should try a CMOS reset now (before any other troubleshooting) if you haven't done that yet.

If you're talking about the computer in "my system specs", then you'll also want to make sure Windows isn't randomly setting your audio to output to the GPU's HDMI port (or any other output you don't use) for some reason. (you can look at the "Sound" settings in the control panel to see that)
Also, what does device manager say about the sound card when it stops working?

You can try a Linux live CD as _dangtx_ said, but I've found Linux to be quite a bit more unpredictable going to sleep mode than Windows, so I'm not sure if that will prove much for your issue. You can try reinstalling the sound drivers or the whole OS to try to eliminate software issues.

Arinoth

Staff member
Hmm another asus board having the issue i had, although yours doesnt seem to be as severe as mine was 2 summers ago. It may be the south bridge is or has overheated and has resulted in a damaged bridge/audio chip. Try placing a fan to blow over it on boot up to see if this fixes it. Otherwise i'd recommend picking up a cheap pci or pci-e audio card

Latest posts