What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Onboard E-sata not working

Jonesy

Hi,
Just put a drive into my enclosure and the E-sata port on the mobo isn't reading. Last time I used the enclosure the port worked fine. Only change has been the motherboard which is why I assume it is the port on the board. Went through the bios to find out if there was an option to enable it but I couldn't find it. Also the USB on the enclosure works fine. I don't have the most up to date drivers for the E-sata, those are downloading now...but I can't get a good connection, 3.6kb/s for a 519MB file. So I was hopeing I could get some help before 2 days lol.

Mobo: Asus M3N HT-Deluxe/mempipe
Enclosure: Vantec Nexstar 3 (older, don't have firewire out like the new 3's)

Thanks,
Scott

DarKStar

I have an ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE, and I'm sure i've seen an option in the BIOS - in fact mine has an eSATA connector too ont he back panel, and that is enabled by default I believe - do you only have 1 eSATA port on yours ???

Jonesy

Yep, only 1 on board connector. I have an I/O plate that is sata to Esata and when I use that it works fine, so the issue is defiantly with the motherboards port.
I went onto Asus's tech forums and someone else mentioned that he was told to RMA the board. So I may end up having to go the route, which I'm not too keen on but ohwell.
Also Asus made a Sata driver change from M2N to the M3N's they use Marvell now instead of Jmicron. Might have something to do with why yours works and mine doesnt lol. But from reading through Asus's forums I don't see a single fix, just RMA.

Malam

I have a different ASUS board, but in mine, the external eSATA is enabled using the Jmicron controller which has to be enabled from the bios.

DarKStar

Actually the M2N has 6 SATA ports, and if i'm not mistaken not all are JMicron, I'll have to check, I recall only 2 extra ones are, but anyways, before you RMA your board check to see that you have the correct drivers - Did you download and install the drivers from ASUS's site ? Marvel, hmm, should have an option to enable it too. it's funny how come your board whcih is more expensive and more recent has only 1 eSATA port :)

Jonesy

I cant get a good connection to asus. it is a 1.5-2 day D/L and i don't like leaving my comp on that long. But I went through the bios again but I still can't seem to find any e sata options in there. But I will be getting the drivers and exhausting all options before I RMA as this is my only computer.

Latest posts