What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ontario government wants the CRTC to regulate the Internet

LaughingCrow

chrisk

Folding Captain
In order to create a more level playing field, the ministry recommends decreasing this regulatory imbalance.....For the Ontario government, it includes regulating foreign online video services. The Ontario government wants the CRTC to impose Canadian content obligations on the foreign providers, though interestingly it recommends exempting Canadian online video providers.
How the heck did these guys win a majority??? Wow...

b1lk1

3+ party system needs to go. There will never be a true majority with the current way things are done. 39% is not a majority.....

sswilson

Staff member
39% of the <50% who vote
Heh... even worse... what's the percentage of Canadians with a membership in a National party who get to vote their choice of who will fill the PM slot?

I'm going to guess that it's a decimal point followed by a ton of zeros with a 1 at the end of it. :)

As far as the original topic goes... It all boils down to whether or not a person believes CanCon rules are worthwhile. If we're going to continue regulating traditional content delivery WRT CanCon then it does seem logical (and fair) to apply the same requirements on all content delivery in Canada no matter what the medium is.

Last edited:

Masteroderus

Canada is becoming totalitarian.

We are told what light bulbs and what types of toilets we are allowed to use.

Now our overlords are pissed off that we're not following their cancon rules by not watching their propaganda, like CBC news.

The government has no right to tell me what I can and cannot watch. The act of watching, by itself, can never violate the non aggression principle. They say they are worried about Canadians losing a cultural identity while we ship in immigrants by the boat load, even with 15% unemployment for young people. Their mission statement is inconsistent with actions taken by other areas of the government.

"Canadian attitudes, opinions, ideas, values and artistic creativity are shaped by our history and geography, our institutions and our linguistic and cultural diversity. They're part of our shared experience and our Canadian identity.

The Broadcasting Act (Section 3.1 (d)(ii)) recognizes this and declares that the Canadian broadcasting system should encourage the development of Canadian expression by:

providing a wide range of programming that reflects Canadian attitudes, opinions, ideas, values and artistic creativity;
displaying Canadian talent in entertainment programming; and
offering information and analysis concerning Canada and other countries from a Canadian point of view."

We are in huge debt with very little gold reserves. We should be burning bureaucrats to heat our homes rather than take on debt for our grandchildren to make inane rules on what people can and cannot watch.

It is against out constitution for the government to even try and figure out what we are watching. Yet we spend a large amount of resources having the government pry into our homes and private affairs.

"2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association.
8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure."

People are dying on cancer wait lists while we pay bureaucrats to write statements that make propaganda legitimate.

Anyone involved with the crtc should be thrown in jail. Their mission statement is to propagandize as they get to define what a Canadian point of view is. Sections 2 and 8 of the charter have been breached uncountable times by the crtc.

The problem lies with Canadians. Wake up and assert your right to liberty. All current federal parties seek the same thing; to grow the government and to diminish the freedoms of Canadians.

10e

Nanny State FTW. Canadian culture? I'll go tap a maple tree and have some Canadian Bacon while wearing a toque. What the heck are people thinking? I don't see why NetFlix or Youtube violates anything "Canadian". Our domestic and foreign policies these days don't resemble the Canada I once knew IMHO.

Why don't they just ask Netflix to add Corner Gas, Degrassi and Murdoch Mysteries. There you go, mission accomplished, now go mismanage more of my hard-earned tax dollars.

JD

Staff member
Their current idea of placing data-caps on these providers seems ridiculous. We all know Bell/Rogers/Shaw/Telus/etc will abuse that and basically "turn off" YouTube and Netflix so you have to use their version instead.

Latest posts

Twitter