What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Opinion on next generation GPU's

Ernimus Prime

So, Nvidia had their big shindig today. And They didn't mention the Pascal gaming desktop GPU's. It was a big bummer for sure. AMD hasn't really gave any time frame when we will see Polaris Desktop GPU's. Does the community here think we will see any next gen GPU's release this summer? Or do you think it will be late this year or early next year? I really want to get something soon to replace my HD7950. And I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy something that is out now. What's the opinion???

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I highly doubt we're looking at this summer. Reviewing the press release, I would be surprised if we see nVidias server/workstation environment cards released before the fall. They only mentioned rackmount P100's shipping in Q'17. Not even titan-esqe cards.

I may be regretting selling my 980ti now.

=\

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Are you talking about mobile or desktop?

Just as a heads up, in their ONE presentation, NVIDIA gave out more information about what's coming for next gen than AMD has in their last 3 non-events.

If NVIDIA is producing P100 cards in volume, you can bet that Pxx4 and lower GeForce cores are being produced in volume as well.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
If NVIDIA is producing P100 cards in volume, you can bet that Pxx4 and lower GeForce cores are being produced in volume as well.

Yeah, that makes sense. At 600mm^2 they're bound to have bad cores to 'downgrade' for gaming cards. Which also aligns with the shrouds we've seen being manufactured.

I'm still hesitant to say this year. Q4'16? Maybe? You'd know better I'm sure :ph34r:

Ernimus Prime

Are you talking about mobile or desktop?

Just as a heads up, in their ONE presentation, NVIDIA gave out more information about what's coming for next gen than AMD has in their last 3 non-events.

Yes, I am talking desktop GPU's Sky.

ipaine

Hmmm, I was really hoping for at least some light shed on when we are going to see the new desktop cards.

Bond007

Hmmm, I was really hoping for at least some light shed on when we are going to see the new desktop cards.

Same. I expected a launch timeframe and maybe a few details. Disappointed. Maybe they won't launch as soon as I expected.

Luay79

I see this as good news because it looks like HBM2 memory will very likely be used for the next gen cards.

MARSTG

Not all next gen cards. Probably just the top end SKUs like AMD just proved. I would stick with a Titan X/980Ti for the moment.

Luay79

Not all next gen cards. Probably just the top end SKUs like AMD just proved. I would stick with a Titan X/980Ti for the moment.

Right. The cards that are coming in the next few months will be mid-end, sub-100w, similarly or slightly better performing than current high-end cards that use GDDR5 memory. The high-end replacements that use HBM2 won't come before Christmas, a bit optimistic, or realistically before the year end.

Don't forget these companies won't cannibalize their own businesses. The current cards will remain relevant as long as they are in stock.

Latest posts