What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Optane is Dead. Long Live Optane!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

well, consume Optane is dead...Intel has discontinued it. enterprise is still good though.

sswilson

Staff member
Wasn't it essentially a proprietary "ram" cache?

Might have made sense before SSDs (both sata and NVMe) hit the mainstream and became relatively inexpensive, or was there more to it than speeding up read access to spinning disks?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

Might have made sense before SSDs (both sata and NVMe) hit the mainstream and became relatively inexpensive, or was there more to it than speeding up read access to spinning disks?
that's a major part of it's target for the enterprise space...but for consumer, it was used in conjunction with HDD in a hybrid mode, when SSD's were still expensive. but as gb says, dropping prices made it a non-starter.

Prickly007

Optane also includes the Intel 900p/905p.

This is disappointing.... Optane absolutely destroys NAND where it counts.

Yup, my 900p is still at 100% health despite more lifetime writes than my Intel 730. But it's u.2 connector will make it harder to move to a new system.

Wonder if anyone still has the AIC version in stock (for close to MSRP)?

Vittra

This is disappointing. I was hoping that next gen Optane would hopefully drop their prices. Optane absolutely destroys NAND where it counts.

Bear in mind this doesn't mean 3D XPoint is dead - the collab between Intel and Micron ended some time ago but Micron is still intent on bringing their version to market - they've just been slow to do so.

Latest posts