What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Optik TV with Turbo High Speed

ipaine

Ok so I have just gotten the Telus Optik TV upgrade. So far I can say it is much better than the previous Telus tv and the speeds are good as well. So with that said here are my speeds:

While recording 2HD streams, watching 1HD stream and 1SD stream = total 3HD 1SD streams

While recording 1HD streams, watching 1HD stream and 1SD stream = total 2HD 1SD streams

While recording 1HD streams, watching 1HD stream and no SD stream = total 2HD streams

While watching 1HD stream and nothing else = total 1HD stream

Now for all of these my ping tests were basically the same

Considering that before on my dedicated high speed turbo line I got about 12-13Mbit. So all in all I am very pleased.

Oh and not to mention the remote recording that I can do with it on my iPhone. I gave it a quick test and it works pretty darn good.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Must be nice to have Fiber...

Too bad Ontario will never see that.

ipaine

Actually it is not fiber at all. Just good old telephone wires. Just on a vdsl port now so it has enough bandwidth to do the TV and internet at good speeds.

JD

Staff member
Really? I thought Optik was all fiber...so it's the same bullshit Bell is feeding consumers with their "Fibe" internet being fiber optic.

ipaine

Well a little while ago they had a survey about what they should call their new service. One of those choices was Optik.

The thing is I really don't think that it is overly mis-informing. I mean most general consumers will do not even get the differences between fiber and dsl. But I will agree that for all of us that are more technically inclined it can be misleading at first.

JD

Staff member
Well a little while ago they had a survey about what they should call their new service. One of those choices was Optik.

The thing is I really don't think that it is overly mis-informing. I mean most general consumers will do not even get the differences between fiber and dsl. But I will agree that for all of us that are more technically inclined it can be misleading at first.
I find the name itself misleading, Fiber Optic -- Optik? It's sneaking marketing.

They don't bluntly say it's fiber in advertising though? Bell does this. Sure Bell might have fiber to the remote, but from there to the house is still old copper wire of questionable quality.

Anyways, glad to see it's working well for you and you get some pretty awesome speeds.

Do you have a XBOX360 on it too? I think Telus was doing some tech demos with XBOXs for IPTV?

ipaine

Yea, if they said fiber in the advertising I'd be pissed, but from anything I have seen they don't. But I will agree that it is sneaky marketing.

As for a 360, nope. I actually don't have either the 360 or PS3 but yea, I do remember reading about how if you have one you can kind of integrate in together, not totally sure.

lowfat

Staff member
So here in Grande Prairie there is a 50 foot banner for Optik TV 'available now' on the Telus building. I live 4 blocks away from the building and yet it says nothing is available in my area. :doh:

ipaine

LOL. That doesn't really surprise me. My uncle had it for a couple months, basically as soon as it came out and yet I couldn't get it. Oh and we are in the same townhouse complex about 500 meters away, if that.

Latest posts