What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Optimizing GPU airflow for stock cooler in an NCase

FreeKnight

I've started to think my GPU issues were related to overheating of the Zotac 2080 Ti AMP (possibly). I've put the stock cooler back on instead of the Morpheus II and am going to give it a try. It turns out the card should fit if I'm very careful in the installation after some cable rerouting of the front IO. I've got a couple options for the installation;

1) Zotac Shroud with the 3x shroud fans intaking directly from the bottom of the case ;
20210214_125543.jpg
There's a bit of an air gap and I'm going to put some taller feet on the NCase to help. It'll draw whatever the GPU can pull in from underneath.

2)
20210214_125652.jpg

Stuff 2 120mmx15mm noctua's underneath to blow air into the gpu. When they're screwed in there's a few millimeters or clearance between the case fans and the GPU fans.

Which one do you guys think should be better for air? There's a decent amount of open space below the GPU without the fans, so it shouldn't be starved for air. I don't think the 2x120s will do any harm, but I've never tried running fans nearly next to each other so I'm not sure if that can potentially cause issues.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bond007

I think it would help. I don't know how much of a difference it will make, but I can't think of any reason that it would hurt.

FreeKnight

Well it's not the airflow anyway (at least not exclusively) first boot brought back the green lines after not having them for a couple weeks. Looks like I'm RMA'ing the GPU after all.

While it was a decent bit of work to get it in the NCase, I had to put the shroud back on it to RMA anyway, so I'm not really that much further behind than I'd like t obe.

clshades

I can't see how that's going to do much of anything honestly. It's almost like double stacking fans on a radiator. I see the appeal for small form factor. At what point are we sacrificing video card performance for a smaller case? I like to see my hardware breathe well, personally.

Latest posts