What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ottawa to reverse CRTC Internet billing decision

sswilson

Staff member
Here's hoping they revampt the CRTC and clean house. Just because it's temporarily stalled, doesn't mean Bell won't try something like this again soon, and next time we won't have the benefit of an upcoming election year. Also don't forget Bell can still throttle anything at their discretion, I would like to see that CRTC ruling overturned as well.

I can see it now, "Hmm, we can't cap Internet users to kill Netflix and Youtube etc..., but we can still throttle them! Let's see how they like 20Kbps download throttles on any HD content other than ExpressVu!"
That's certainly a possible scenario, however I still think the most likely scenario is for Bell to just start dropping low personal customer density areas from service coverage and let TekSavvy service those lines on their own. (At which point, Bell will apply to the CRTC for "third party" access to those lines.... ;) ).

This is still far from a done deal. I fully expect the CRTC review to report back that they believe the original decision was the correct one thus forcing the government's hand WRT the recent court decision on Wind Mobile and how it applies in this case.

proxy

That's certainly a possible scenario, however I still think the most likely scenario is for Bell to just start dropping low personal customer density areas from service coverage and let TekSavvy service those lines on their own. (At which point, Bell will apply to the CRTC for "third party" access to those lines.... ;) ).
I'm sure TekSavvy would love to service and expand those lines on their own...provided that the government uses taxpayer money to subsidize and help pay for said servicing and expansion, like they did when they gave Bell taxpayer money to help build the current infrastructure, and then again to lay the groundwork for finally fibrewiring Canada. :haha:

This is still far from a done deal. I fully expect the CRTC review to report back that they believe the original decision was the correct one thus forcing the government's hand WRT the recent court decision on Wind Mobile and how it applies in this case.
Sadly that's exactly what I think will happen as well. They've been 'reviewing' UBB for over a year and a half, and they've upheld their original ruling each time, even if they've delayed implementation. I don't expect them to simply reverse their finding now.

Someone mentioned that while the CRTC looks at the Internet as a commodity, as in electricity, or water, that in reality it's more akin to the highway, in that it's a delivery system, and everyone pays for upkeep, regardless or what is transported on that roadway and in what quantity. Sure there are toll highways, for those that want to get there faster, but there are also plenty of non-fee alternatives.

Throttling was bad enough, as was the exorbitant fees to telecom companies hoping to enter the Canadian market, more and more the CRTC looks to have lost sight of what's best for the citizens they're supposed to be protecting. I don't by any means think they're schills, but I do think they've become removed and out of touch, especially with Canada slipping further and further behind the rest of the industrialized world in service delivery, prices, and infrastructure. In fact the head of the CRTC isn't even aware of the studies that have shown Canada lagging behind the other G8 nations, with some of the the lowest levels and quality of service while at the same time having some of the highest prices, that doesn't bode well for an organization that's supposed to be guardians. If they're not doing what's best for the citizens and protecting them, then what's the point of their existence?

sswilson

Staff member
I'm sure TekSavvy would love to service and expand those lines on their own...provided that the government uses taxpayer money to subsidize and help pay for said servicing and expansion, like they did when they gave Bell taxpayer money to help build the current infrastructure, and then again to lay the groundwork for finally fibrewiring Canada. :haha:
We all know that's not going to happen. ;)

OTOH, a perfect "solution" for a new ISP would be for them to find a large housing development close to their current backbone connection (Physical) that would allow them to run their own connection direct. They could then work their way out from there without needing to concern themselves with using somebody else's "last mile".

Someone mentioned that while the CRTC looks at the Internet as a commodity, as in electricity, or water, that in reality it's more akin to the highway, in that it's a delivery system, and everyone pays for upkeep, regardless or what is transported on that roadway and in what quantity. Sure there are toll highways, for those that want to get there faster, but there are also plenty of non-fee alternatives.
I agree that the internet should be viewed as a national delivery system, but ATM, direct comparisons to a highway system don't work because the "roads" to the internet are privately owned. The only logical solution would be to nationalize all "public" connections to the internet, but for that to happen, the government would have to buy out the current owners of the infrastructure.

proxy

Very good points SSWilson, and yes, ideally Internet infrastructure would be publicly owned, like was in the country I lived in before moving here =). I should add, publicly owned and well managed.

akulacan

The tone of Konrad's speech is clearly defending the incumbent ISPs throughout. He constantly mentions facts that are favorable to Bell/Rogers positions, and provides no insights from the consumers perspective. Ridiculous.

Replace the CRTC with a competent, independent regulatory body.
And the idiot can't even speak proper English. You can tell he has no clue and has no answers when he slurs his words and you can tell he's lieing when he gets confrontational. I saw the part where he was asked to present evidence for the methodology behind the 15% discount. He said that he doesn't have the evidence in hand and "off the top of his head" and then goes on to say how this is the third hearing and that he doesn't take this issue lightly.....

WELL HOLY ******* SHIT JACK!!!! If this is the third ******* time you've had a hearing about it don't you think it would make sense to bring this evidence with you and you're so called "smart" entourage????

What a ******* asshole!!!

You know he was picked just because he said, he'd deal with the bullshit of covering the CRTC's ass as long as he was well paid to do it and would gladly sell out Canadians to line his own pocket.

Last edited:

Twitter