What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Over tightened motherboard screws?

Rumils

Hey guys, was as you can probably tell by the title I am worried I may have been a little over zealous screwing in my motherboard. First off I am not sure if this is really a problem as it is just at the screw points and doesn't effect any of the traces. However I was wondering if it could affect the ground (I doubt it but that's why I am here!) All mounting points look similiar the pictures are probably of the worst one. The computer itself actually turns on and runs fine however after two weeks of running it this way I have had some problems. First off I can hear the telltale signs of a dying hard drive. The drive is about 4 years old though and has saw heavy use. The second more major issue in the last two weeks has to due with my gpu. While gaming my gpu completely dropped signal to my monitor at which point I noticed an awful smell of burning plastic / rubber (maybe a capacitor not sure what those smell like). I isolated to the card by removing the card and running on integrated graphics. This confirmed it was the gpu. The harddrive is a seagate and the graphics card is a EVGA 770 sc. Oh, and the card still worked (but still smelled) after restarting the computer while trouble shooting. The card was only about 1.5 years old. There is a possibility both the card and harddrive got damaged when my last motherboard failed. Still not sure how my old motherboard failed. I left the pc running while I went to do errands and came back to no signal to the monitor from my EVGA 770 and after trying to restart and pulling different parts and trying different ram slots that board was throwing all kinds of beep codes such as memory codes, gpu codes ect... My 770 is getting replaced by warrenty however! :D Basically I am wondering if running this overtighting the screws on my new motherboard could have taken my gpu out or if there is any other reasons why it would be better to get rid of the motherboard in favor of a new one. Thanks you very much!

Attachments

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
It shouldn't affect the grounding of the board as the area that's been worn off doesn't make contact with the standoff. Even if it did, the PCB itself provides a good measure of insulation.

crowTrobot

Nice Gigabyte motherboard BTW, is that a Z97 Gaming 3? Nope, the screws have nothing to do with your issues. Those sound like separate things entirely.

Bond007

The motherboard would be fine with the metal worn down like that...its pretty soft metal.

AkG

Where the hdd and ram might also have been damaged it sounds like classic PSU failure. Im betting on it being either a no-namer, an older FSP built unit, or an older lower end CWT oem (eg Corsair CX)....with a darkhorse of ANTEC's low end.

Rumils

Where the hdd and ram might also have been damaged it sounds like classic PSU failure. Im betting on it being either a no-namer, an older FSP built unit, or an older lower end CWT oem (eg Corsair CX)....with a darkhorse of ANTEC's low end.
Actually it is a pretty highly regarded psu. Ocz Z series 850w 80 plus gold certified. It may have been a psu failure however I am kinda doubt it. That first motherboard was my first build and lets just say I didn't know what beep codes where. From the time of first boot I remember getting beep codes two quick and one long (I think) on an 1155 msi. The board still lasted two and a half years though. So I think those codes finally caught up to it ;) It's still the same psu in it though. Would it be a good idea to check it with a volt meter?

Last edited:

Rumils

Nice Gigabyte motherboard BTW, is that a Z97 Gaming 3? Nope, the screws have nothing to do with your issues. Those sound like separate things entirely.
Good guess very close! Z97 Gigabyte gaming 5. That guess is shockingly close though for the pictures you had to go off!

rjbarker

Yeah I've unfortuntaely been half pissed and decided to start building...never have had an issue with torque / force mounting the Mobo....they're extremely robust and durable!!

AkG

Actually it is a pretty highly regarded psu. Ocz Z series 850w 80 plus gold certified. It may have been a psu failure however I am kinda doubt it. That first motherboard was my first build and lets just say I didn't know what beep codes where. From the time of first boot I remember getting beep codes two quick and one long (I think) on an 1155 msi. The board still lasted two and a half years though. So I think those codes finally caught up to it ;) It's still the same psu in it though. Would it be a good idea to check it with a volt meter?
Yes check its voltage output. I would not be surprised if its out of spec. Sadly you wont see ripple without an O-scope. I would be shocked if its ripple was IN spec. Sirtec psu's dont have a sterling reputation for QA and longevity. They are either very good or garbage.

I honestly like OCZ SSDs. BUT I would not trust a OCZ branded PSU.

In either case sorry to hear about your prob...but I doubt if overtightened screws are going to cause any probs - its your PSU's ripple killing the parts.

Twitter