What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Overclocking attempts corrupting winxp?

Somed00d

Ok, I got my Q6600 G0 cpu yesterday and I have been trying to push it as far as possible. it posts at 3.6ghz+ runs memtest no problem but when i am trying to boot windows it gives me a corrupt file message.

I am wondering if pushing it too far has messed up my windows.. i did have it boot at 3600 once but windows ran really slow

now i am struggling to get 3ghz stable in windows

sswilson

Staff member
It can sometimes foobar your OS install, but most common is the "can't find file XXXXXXX insert OS disk and run repair" which will normally go away when you drop the OC back down.

JD

Staff member
I corrupted my Profile in XP once while changing the memory timings using nTune. Bad move that was. Whenever I logged in, I'd get an error about having a corrupted profile and that it was using the default.

If you think it's stable at 3.6GHz, it could of just been a coincidence that Windows decided to mess up. If possible try reinstalling.

Eldonko

Instable mem is prob responsible for hd corruption. If you get that msg drop the oc and see if it helps, usually does for me. Otherwise u need a repair install if its really bad.

enaberif

Unstable memory due to overclocking, faulty from the box, or bad mobo can cause corruption in Windows due to files not being written properly.

Somed00d

something is not working properly.. i just cant nail it.. I will try a clean xp install. One minute i am prime stable next minute random reboots. I am running a 430w maddog psu (made by spire) and has worked great overclocking my e6420 with all the same gear.. i think i may be drawing too much amps on the 12v with the Q6600. Picked up a OCZ 600w today so hopefully that is my problem.

I have run memtest on the ram at 500mhz 5-5-5-15 with no problem. i am running the ram at 400mhz right now but still having problems. running 1:1 at 400x9 or less. the only speed i am stable at is near stock 266x9

actually i think i have vista on a spare drive maybe i will try that..

magictorch

psu

hopefully its just the psu, that seems a little low for ocing a quadcore to way beyond the current extreme quadcore stock speeds!! I was reading jaydees oc guide links and its amazing how much effect an oc has on volt draw in dual core systems....anyway a fresh xp install isn't too timeconsuming assuming all your drivers are at hand..good luck for 4ghz

JD

Staff member
Didn't even notice you had such a weak PSU. That's probably the cause of these issues. You have a lot of stuff running off the PSU.

Good luck.

Somed00d

hopefully its just the psu, that seems a little low for ocing a quadcore to way beyond the current extreme quadcore stock speeds!! I was reading jaydees oc guide links and its amazing how much effect an oc has on volt draw in dual core systems....anyway a fresh xp install isn't too timeconsuming assuming all your drivers are at hand..good luck for 4ghz

i have a driver folder with all the apps/drivers etc ready to re-install anytime i need it lol.. i mess around alot!.. i should make a ghost image lol

magictorch

i guess the psu then

whats a ghost image? im a bit new to all this...need to organize my drivers a bit better for when i destablize my little 939 here...be interesting to see how you get on with the oc...the oczgamexstream600watt seems pretty solid...