What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Overclocking failed

Neo3

Hi there,

I am an absolute clumsy and amateur when talking about computer hardware, I'm rather a software "guru".

My problem is with my ASUS M5A97EVO R 2.0 motherboard. I bought the computer nearly one year ago, and after 6 months it has started not to boot. Black screen, but fans are ok, and as everything would be okay, but the monitor stays black. I have to turn it off and turn on around 2-3 times and it works, but telling me "Overclocking failed". I had an expert who took a look at the BIOS and modified the RAM's data (voltage, timing). Than it worked fine.

But for some reason in the past weeks the problem started again. Turn on, no screen, turn off, turn on, until it works. When it does it gives me the message "Overclocking failed Please press F1 to enter setup....".

As I mentioned I am not a tuning guy who does everything with the PC, it is at the base configuration, plus my expert friend's RAM setup. But I did not change anything else, and I still have problem with it.

Please see my config here:
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
AMD FX-8320 3.50GHz AM3+ BOX
KINGMAX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
ASUS GTX650TI-DC2O-1GD5 GTX650Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCIE
TOSHIBA 1TB 7200rpm 32MB SATA3 DT01ACA100
KINGSTON 120GB SATA3 2,5" SSDNow V300 SV300S37A/120G
FSP Raider 550
ALPENFOEHN Brocken

And BIOS screens here:

I am grateful for all your comments, as my friend is also run out of ideas. THANK YOU!

Arinoth

Staff member
Have you tried to update your bios? I was having the overclock fail message every so often come up on my fiancee's Asus motherboard. Turned out the RMA'ed mobo I got as a replacement they never updated it to the latest bios. Updating it fixed my issues, it may or may not fix yours.

Neo3

Thanks for your quick reply, Arinoth!

Yes, this version seems to be the latest (I visited the official website of the Motherboard, and it says the last update was released back in 2012.)

Neo3

Thank you very much!!

Should I be afraid to install this update without saving my important data from the hard drives?

Also, could you please tell how to install it? (Put on an USB, and enter the BIOS when boots, and something like that?)

Sorry for the amateur questions! :)

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter