What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Overclocking QX6700 (in a dell xps700)

danmitch1

Hi guys, Ive recently decided to finally overclock my qx6700 in my dell xps700 to squeeze a little more life out of her until I save enough cash for a new build .

So as far as i can tell the only option i have for overclocking in the bios is to change the multiplier . Aside from that im forced to use ntune in windows. Ntune only allows me to mess with the fsb and ram timings , it also only allows access to ram voltage .

I simply bumped the multiplier to 11 and got 2.9... ghz oc . I used cpuz to stress the cpu at 100% load on all cores for about an hour. From speedfans point of view three of the cores averaged a tempurature of 65c while one ran slightly hotter at 70c.This is with my xps fans at nearly 100% rpm .

So i then decided to bump the multiplier to 12 getting a 3.2 ghz oc . The temps raised by 4c after about an hour at 100% load. So then i decided to play around with 3ds max and render a test scene . The temps got 1c hotter at 100% load and then when i minimized max (with the render still running) and tried to open a web browser i noticed the load drop to 70% and then the pc shut its self down and rebooted.

Now im assuming it just reached max temp and shut its self down .Or from what ive read (im a total oc noob btw) it could be that the cpu isnt getting enough juice .Thing is i dont have access to the cpu voltage settings . So since the only thing im assuming i have control over is cooling ive come to a conclusion .

Considering the stock xps700 cpu heat sink and fan are far from your normal cpu setup (i believe) i dont think buying another air cooling device will make much of a difference. So ive searched around and custom water cooling setups are too expensive for what i want to spend on such an old machine .

Im looking to spend max 100$ and so far Im only finding closed loop devices like the corsair h60 that are less than 100$. Also, finding something compatible with the lga 775 socket is a challenge.
Installation of these coolers will be a pain as well because i need to remove the motherboard to install the backplate.

Long story short do you guys think a device like the corsair h60 will do any better at cooling my cpu for oc purposes and is worth the hassel ?

Thanks for any input you might have !

Dan.

zoob

You can try modding the CPU. Search google for Lga775 VID mod. You'll need some conductive ink like a rear-windshield defroster repair pen.

danmitch1

Whoa , looks cool but i dont think im too comfortable with that process. Couldnt i just up the fsb in ntune instead?

Thanks for the reply !

sswilson

Staff member
It's been quite a while since I used Ntune, but a quick word of caution with any kind of software OC is to ensure it doesn't apply the OC settings automatically at boot. Might be a bit of an inconvenience to "turn it on" every time you boot, but that's preferable to ending up in a boot loop because of overly aggressive (unstable) settings.

danmitch1

Good advice! So far ive only adjusted the multiplier in the bios. Buts thats all i can do in the bios. Ntune only lets me adjust fsb, memory timings and memory voltage. Id like to just stick to the multiplier in the bios. But do you think the pc restarted because of heat or lack of cpu voltage?
Thx for the reply!

Johan45

Probably both and without any voltage adjustments in BIOS you're probably not going to get much out of it by changing coolers. You might get it to stabilize by removing some heat but it might still need a voltage bump. For $100 I'd likely try and find a replacement board with some OC options and get a decent air cooler like the Hyper 212

danmitch1

Probably both and without any voltage adjustments in BIOS you're probably not going to get much out of it by changing coolers. You might get it to stabilize by removing some heat but it might still need a voltage bump. For $100 I'd likely try and find a replacement board with some OC options and get a decent air cooler like the Hyper 212

I was thinking that too but isnt my windows license linked with the motherboard ? Like If I want to reinstall windows wont I get a problem with the validation ?

Hewfil1 said:
Ran this in my old build. Did not disappoint.

Im gonna leave that as a last resort ;)

Latest posts