What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Overvolt?

Navi

I'm not sure that's possible. Assuming your 120mm fan is already running at 12v, and I don't think there's a higher voltage than that in the average pc (just 3.3v, 5v, and 12v if memory serves).

It's possible to undervolt a fan for the sake of silence but that's not what you're trying to achieve :)

AmuseMe

I'm not sure that's possible. Assuming your 120mm fan is already running at 12v, and I don't think there's a higher voltage than that in the average pc (just 3.3v, 5v, and 12v if memory serves).

It's possible to undervolt a fan for the sake of silence but that's not what you're trying to achieve :)

Isn't 7V in there somewhere?

Zero82z

Banned
how do i overvolt a 120MM fan..
You don't, unless you want to burn it out.

If you really want to be stupid, ground the fan to the -12V rail, but be prepared for some fireworks if you do that. Fans tend to not like being run at twice their intended voltage.

how do i overvolt a 120MM fan.. i just need more airflow out of the thing.. and i need it cheap
How cheap is a decent fan? You'd have to assume that overvolting a fan is at the very least going to burn it out quickly, assuming it doesn't cause a fire or something horrific. How many do you need? I'm sure people with more experience than I could suggest some quality brands. Scythe are apparently very good, but some of their stuff is more centered around quiet airflow. If you're using a stock fan though, this would probably be a very good upgrade, or check out Noctua.

More suggestions are probably necessary, but just think that overvolting things that are meant to be overvolted can kill their life. I imagine that a cheap fan wouldn't last long if it lasted at all (note: fire).

kendallcschm

How cheap is a decent fan? You'd have to assume that overvolting a fan is at the very least going to burn it out quickly, assuming it doesn't cause a fire or something horrific. How many do you need? I'm sure people with more experience than I could suggest some quality brands. Scythe are apparently very good, but some of their stuff is more centered around quiet airflow. If you're using a stock fan though, this would probably be a very good upgrade, or check out Noctua.

More suggestions are probably necessary, but just think that overvolting things that are meant to be overvolted can kill their life. I imagine that a cheap fan wouldn't last long if it lasted at all (note: fire).
im getting the odd feeling that people here thinks its a bad idea... perhaps my fans are fine the way they are... lmao